This more than makes up for Y-Rock

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 16, 2005.

1. I just got chatting to a fellow Nickelback fan who I haven't spoken to for ages. I asked her what she was doing these days and she explained she was the booking agent for The Leeds Festival, and she books all the bands for the Independant stage. I mentioned that we'd just got dropped off the Y-Rock festival, at which point she said 'well, if you want, send me a demo of your band, and we'll see if we can book you for the independant stage for The Leeds Festival 2006'. :eek: I didn't believe her at first but she assures me she's not lying, and to be honest, why would she? Hopefully she's being honest and truthful(all the evidence points to it), and we may well be rocking at Leeds Fest next year. :hyper: :bassist:
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Congrats and good luck with that Nick. You aren't going to threaten to punch her if she doesn't think the demo or band is up to snuff, are you?
  3. Skip the "threat" part. :)

Good luck nick.
  4. I hate to play the jerk here and say this, but from what it sounds like you aren't in 100%, so don't give your hopes up. But good luck and I hope ya get the gig.
  5. Yeah, no one's beaten you to the punch yet! :smug:
  6. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Nick..why don't you post some of your demo? Put your ego aside, be willing to listen to constructive criticism, and I bet everyone here would "play nice" and give you HONEST opinions about what your bands strong and weak points are. The surest way to get gigs is to improve. Like it or not, there are A LOT of gigging players here, from weekend warriors such as myself, Church players, to nationally signed touring players.
  7. +1. Also, Nick, I'd be a bit hesitant to book a gig that far in advance. You never know where you or your band will be by next year. If she wants you on the bill, tell her you accept it as a tentative booking only.

8. Nick, follow the advice above. I used to bring my younger brother to practice occassionally. Once we had the mechanics down, it was nice to run a demo past someone with no connection to the band at all. He'd listen, run his mouth, and drink free beer. Numerous songs were rearranged before we had them set based on some of his comments. Most times, he was right about the "flow" or whatnot.

The point is that it's easy to get so deep into what you're doing that you can't actually see what's good or bad about it. It's yours, so you love it. Other people can help you step back and view it objectively.

If one of your recent shows went bad enough to get you cancelled, then you might want to accept that there is work to be done and set about doing it.

9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I hope it works out for you. We have a standing offer to play it this year.
  10. Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I fully understand it's no where near 100% definate, but if we can get a good demo recorded this summer and get it sent off, it'd be great to play at the leeds fest.
  11. Yep, hope it works out for Leeds Nick, although I must confess that the fact that a band had been "dropped" from the bill of "Y-Rock 2005" wouldn't exactly encourage me to rush to book them for a gig in 2006. :D :D

I heartily endorse the suggestion that you post some or all of your demo for constructive comment. It can only do you good. ;) ;)
  12. WE have to record the demo first. That's happening this summer for sure.