1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thomann basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by johnnyftw, Mar 13, 2013.

1. johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Mar 13, 2013
    hello
    i am playing electric bass and i want to buy my first double bass
    i like to play psychobilly/rockabilly music but i also like jazz
    the problem is that i don't have enough money to spend so i think i'll buy one of the thomann's basses
    one of this two for example:
    http://www.thomann.de/gr/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_01.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/gr/thomann_kontrabass_111.htm
    (thomann suggest me to buy the 2nd one)
    i know that it's not a good one,it's probably made in china,but i cant buy a bass that costs over 600 E=780 USD
    i cant find something cheaper in the local market,not even a used one
    what do you think about this double basses?
    it's so bad that it's not worth it?

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Welcome!

You would do well to start right here.

Where do you live?

3. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I have a friend who got a brand new $800 bass. (not the brand your looking at) The bass itself isn't horrible but he spent another $700 making it playable so I would say save up and just spend the money on one that already plays nice and is set up so when you get it all you have to worry about is playing. Look at shens and stuff in that range.

4. johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Mar 13, 2013
    i leave in greece.DB it's not very popular instrument here so it's quite expensive
    i thought that with thomann's DB i'll be ok for some time till i'll need something better.(shipping is free)
    "Entry level, about $1500 USD" :bawl:

5. if i'm not mistaken, thomann offers a free set up for a new upright. in case that set up is a good one this might be a good choice if you're low on budget. you can't expect good tone but it may work out alright

6. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    As much as I like Thomann for their service, the setup they sell with their DB's is not a good one. I think the only thing they do is fit the bridge and maybe check the saddle.

It will at least need a fingerboard dressing.

The quality of the Thomann bass I own is abysmal, which is to be expected.

7. johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Mar 13, 2013
    yes,the set up is free.you can also choose set up for a specific kind of music.i ask them about set up and answer me that is "professional"

8. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    if you live in greece, ask MIKMAN

9. johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Mar 13, 2013
    thanx

10. passive pickup

passive pickup

Dec 11, 2010
    Northants
  11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    +1!

12. r.t.swing

r.t.swing

May 5, 2009
    London
    I bought my Christopher from them with their set up, but after I took it but my local Luthier, the difference was astounding. (I did budget for this after all the advice I read here.)

13. johnnyftw

johnnyftw

Mar 13, 2013
    thanx passive pickup
    there are some really good deals in this site

14. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Speaking about the Thomann set up i have to say that it is elementary. They fit the bridge and they slightly adapt the bridge's curvature according to the client's preference (jazz or arco). They do not touch the nut, the soundpost, the fingerboard etc.
    It is obvious that any Thomann bass, even the costly ones, need a thorough set up in the hands of an experienced DB luthier. From the other hand the bass arrives to the client in a playable condition, so in some cases and for someone living in a "no bass luthier land" it is something to be taken into account.
    Mike