1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Thomas Martin 3/4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by robinunit, Jul 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. robinunit

robinunit Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    Price:
    Strings:

and the same model played by Thomas Martin:

First and foremost please compare the sound between this bass and other basses in this price range on the talkbass forum. Priced at $16,500 I've just purchased a new Jean Auray masterbuilt bass and don't use the Martin.

English made Thomas Martin 3/4 bass. Bought late 2012 from Gary at Upton Bass. Has had several issues but was taken care of by Upton and George Martin at Martin Basses. Used mainly for jazz but would be great for classical as well.

If you're in the New York or Boston area you are welcome to take it out for audition for a month and get it checked out by your favorite luthier. You can also stop by my apartment and A/B it against my new Jean Auray just for kicks and to see what you are getting sound wise.

UPDATE:

*new photos done 1/3/17* front, sides and the new back from George Martin that was shipped out to Upton to put on. The new photos are the ones where the bass is propped up in the corner of the room.

*Setup, checkup and appraisal done at David Gage's shop by Zach Lane (12/12/2016) pdf attachment below.
    This bass helped me get through my gigs and recordings while studying at New England Conservatory.

* If you're in the New York or Boston area you are welcome to take it out for audition for 3 weeks.

* I will pay for Shipping within the USA but I need my flight case shipped back (let's talk and we can work something out!)

* Comes with a used Mooradian standard bag and Realist Pickup. Fishman pickup attached too but you'll need to send it back to Fishman for repairs.

Be well,

Robin Betton

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. pmad_bass

pmad_bass

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Interested...but would need to sell my Kolstien Fent (looking for something more manageable in size). Any arco clips?

robinunit likes this.
  3. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    Hi pmad_bass and thank you for your interest! If you click on the link below to my bandcamp site there are 2 classical arco clips. Let me know if there are any issues playing the clips and I will do my best to fix it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. Somebody needs to either A) buy this, or B) loan me ten grand.

pmad_bass and robinunit like this.
  5. pmad_bass

pmad_bass

Oct 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Meant to say....fantastic playing BTW. I was able to access the arco links. Thank you! What kind of strings do you have on it? Same for Arco and Pizz?

6. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    Aw thanks man I appreciate that! It has helicore hybrids on the E and A and evah pirazzis on the d and g. Same for arco and pizz. Id recommend spiros for jazz with lower action.

7. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    BUMP! Also interested in a good used car if someone wants to do a trade.

8. I'll trade ya straight across for a Monte Carlo that needs brake lines. :p

robinunit likes this.
  9. Jason Lindsay

Jason Lindsay

Apr 13, 2015
    Bassist Jacksonville Symphony, Naples Philharmonic
    What is the string length, and does it have a"D" or Eflat" neck?

Ok I see the string length on the doc.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  10. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    Hi Jason! D neck.

Thank you,

Robin Betton

11. Wow I can't believe this has not sold! It must be a good bass. Thomas Martin is the guy my teacher (Alex Nichol) went to take lessons from in the UK ...even though Alex was an established symphony bassist at the time. That was 30 years ago. I took lessons from Alex 40 years ago. So Thomas Martin was the teacher's teacher. Somebody buy this thing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    robinunit likes this.
  12. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    that is a stunning bass. the arco clip, for the asking price, i'm amazed.

13. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Groove,

Yes the price is amazing! I need to take care of some medical work and already have this amazing Jean Auray bass I am in love with . I don't think she wants me to keep the Martin as a Mistress any longer!

14. garrett2

garrett2

May 15, 2017
    Is the bass in Boston or in NYC?

15. robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    Boston
    I live in both cities so can meet you in either city. Would you like to check it out?