Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Those who gig: Favorite "Break music" cd's?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Sep 20, 2004.

1. So you gig and your band is on break. You need to put some music on the system to 'fill in the blank' until your next set. What are some of your favorite break music cd's?

:confused:

:)

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    TOOL - Undertow
    STP- Purple
    Alice in Chains- FaceLift
    Pearl Jam- Ten
    AudioSlave

Pick the "standards" for the type of music that you play. Especially if you don't have any covers and you need to play something the audience can hum along with.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    "freak out" by frank zappa and the mothers of invention
    especially "the return of the son of monster magnet", "help i'm a rock", and "who are the brain police"

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i love doing that - it works out very well - especially in a club where they know you - they tend to get a kick out of it.

Honestly, a lot of times just letting the crowd play the jukebox is cool. sometimes that gives you a real feel for what they are in the mood for and you can adjust your set accordingly.

i wouldn't really put on the mothers of invention - for those of you familiar with those songs - i'm sure you'd agree that after 10 minutes of any of those tunes they'd be begging for your band to come back up and play :p

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    At least one band that I travelled with (as audio tech, in those days) HAD to use the jukebox on breaks. I mean I guess I don't really know if it was more of a band rule or if it was standard-practice in the 'Outlaw Country' live music scene - but it was said that the club made money off the jukebox, and expected to make money off it whenever a band wasn't playing.

I remember many-a-time speaking with bartenders or a manager before the show, working out the logistics of 'don't forget to turn the jukebox back on when the band goes on break'. We'd fade-in a tune from our system right away going into the break, and then I'd wait by the board to fade it out when the jukebox came back online (sometimes flagging-down a bartender to remind them, or sending someone up to..).

...and you're right Ivanmike. The bandleader listened carefully to what was being played on the jukebox (and what wasn't) while we were setting up, and it helped him a little in putting the night's songlist together. In that situation (E.W. Porter Jr. and the Texas Crude) we almost always did like Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat gigs (occasionally TWO or more weeks), so we all really had the crowd dialed-in after a couple nights!

Joe

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We have a few different cds burned for break music. Depends on the crowd as to which one we will play.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Tenacious D. Becuase it's just... never appropriate.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Tony Allen - Black Voices

Play it relatively low with much bass.

9. I normally have something fairly close to the genre of the gig I'm performing at.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thomas Dolby's Aliens Ate My Buick . It is the perfect album to adjust the PA's sound with. Once that is done it's Rhino's Millenium box set for the diversity of tunes.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Older (late 70s, early 80s) Talking HEads, like "Fear of Music" or "Remain in Light".

12. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    some kinda of acoutic music. The music should't u frequncies similiar to ur band, they should also be easy to talk over

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    a good idea would be to use har mar superstar's cd.

14. BACH violin concertos Bwv 1041-1043. relaxing, and people can talk.

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Depends on the gig, but I have four CDs that I have mixed together for shows. The band I play for is a Blues band.

1) Swing tunes - High energy, not too offensive. Keeps the mood and energy up in between sets.
    2) Funk and R&B - Gets em ready to dance, songs are more familiar so people sing and dance along.
    3) Jazz - People can talk and creates a casual atmosphere. Doesn't scare away the dinner crowd. Nice for the first break after the first set.
    4) Rock - Classic guitar laden rock for the crowds that are really into this kind of thing. I usually don't like playing this CD but in some crowds, it will go over better than the other 3.

As Smash said, people's ears get tired. I aim for music that doesn't tire ears, yet keeps the mood up and compliments the band. Because it's a Blues band, it's a little wierd to hear 15 minutes of electronica or neo punk after we finish off a set with a Elmore James tune, and then interupt the electronica with a Albert King tune. Same would go for a Metal band that has the bartender throw on Christine Aguileria on the house system after the band finishes a set with Slayer's Angel of Death. Break CDs are a great way to control the mood and theme of the night.