1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thoughts on Pino Palladino

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TJH3113, Mar 4, 2016.

1. TJH3113

TJH3113

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    In the 80's and beyond, Pino had an instantly recognizable voice via his fretless work with Paul Young, David Gilmour, Don Henley, Pete Townsend, Melissa Etheridge, Elton John... Does anyone besides myself ever question his decision to give up that voice and resign himself to sounding like "just another bassist"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning his obvious talent, just his decision.

This is a subtopic:

What got me thinking about this was I "saw" him (note I did not say "heard" him) perform with The Who last night and, in my opinion, they may as well have had a cardboard cutout of a bass player on stage with them. That's how lacking the presence of the bass was in their mix.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    kesslari and TinIndian like this.
  2. CGremlin

CGremlin

Nov 1, 2014
    Was it a problem with his performance or just a bad mix? If it's the mix you can't really put it on Pino, but if it were me playing with The Who (or any other iconic group) I'd probably be a little reluctant to really be myself very much. Ox left some very big and very particular shoes to fill, so I'd be more concerned with blending in and staying true to the band's style rather than expressing my own voice. Maybe Pino was just reigning it in a bit because of that.

ICM, Fergie Fulton, TMARK and 5 others like this.
  3. I don't know a lot about Pino's work that much the stuff I did watch and listen to on Youtube were legit. He really fulfills the low end well but maybe that's his thing.

Like how John Entwistle is known for his complex basslines that almost sound like electric guitar lines or Geddy Lee with his complex bassplaying, some famous bassists are known for just keeping the low end. Just my take.

Anyone can play complex lines and be all over the place but I think it takes a special kind of musician to make it simple.

4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    I think that as a guy who makes his living with his bass, playing with The Who is probably a very well-paid job for him and there isn't anything to read into it.

5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Interviewed in the Fretless Bass Book, Pino explains he simply tired of the fretless sound. He felt it had become a cliche.

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    +1

You beat me to it.

Squittolo likes this.
  7. TJH3113

TJH3113

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    Two different things - his performance and the mix. Mix was terrible though. I'm not in a position to critique his performance, his success as a sought after session player speaks for his abilities. That being said, I don't think he was the best choice to "replace" Entwistle. They got a drummer who plays similarly to Moon in Zak Starkey so why not try and match up the bass end at least a little bit.

GregC, Mike_1978 and maxschrek like this.
  8. Playing with The Who alone is incredible to have on your resume.

Guitarodeo, FlatwoundFunk and bobba66 like this.
  9. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I had the same observation at the Detroit show. I can't comment on Pino's performance because it was just lost in the mix where I was sitting. Excellent show, otherwise.

the general and TJH3113 like this.
  10. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    I feel like he is one of the big P bass players, sorta introducing a style that's seemed revolutionary.

11. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    His work with D'Angelo is extraordinary.

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    When I saw him with the Who three years ago, the mix was pretty good and I could hear Pino fine. Obviously he was playing a fretted (Fender Jag!) bass, so he didn't have his signature tone going on. But then that wouldn't work with the Who, would it?

13. TJH3113

TJH3113

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    I'd never heard that (D'Angelo) before and thought it was good. I don't follow him closely as a bassist and am basing my opinion on the things I've heard him do with a few other artists, John Mayer and Nine Inch Nails come to mind, where, in my opinion, it sounds like he's playing beneath his abilities. Not that there is anything wrong with that, playing to serve the song is what it's all about. I'm just surprised that someone with as unique a voice as his would just set that aside.

carvnbass likes this.
  14. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    He's a DEEP groove player and his (wonderful) fretless playing is only part of his voice.

GregC, Lia_G, DonBorelli and 12 others like this.
  15. TJH3113

TJH3113

Jun 15, 2015
    New Windsor, NY
    Huh?

16. Marial

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm saying that he's a professional musician and that's a great gig. It's not about style or anything else.

Shortie, Winfred and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  17. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Pino is an outstanding player, but replacing Entwistle with him was like replacing Keith Moon with Kenny Jones.

Squittolo, GregC, tbz and 7 others like this.
  18. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I think it's pretty much the Roger and Pete show now. They can hire the best, and they do.

jallenbass likes this.
  19. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Solid body of work, great player. My thoughts.

20. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    If you think Pino has transformed himself to "just another bassist" then I would reconsider how well you know the instrument. He is a hired gun who plays what is required to make the song/performance better. One of the best hired guns out there and makes a great living doing it.