1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Tom Martin Double Basses?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by Calvin Marks, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    Been eyeing Tom/George Martin Solo model basses for a while but I wanted to get some feedback on the industry perception of Tom's basses - quality, quality vs. price etc. Any thoughts?

I'm ideally looking for a bass with a string length between 40-41" (I currently play 41.5" and I want a bass pretty much exclusively for solo playing that doesn't sound like a pea shooter.

Cheers

2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    You will get more action is you repost this over in the "Basses" subforum.

3. Calvin Marks

Calvin Marks Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Toronto
    Thanks I will

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    My perception, never having owned one, but played a couple, is that they are high quality instruments in many configurations. Other than that, you've got to try before you can know if it's right for you!

Chris Symer likes this.
  5. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I’ve owned two Martin’s in my time. The Solo was a beautifully constructed instrument and the sound, even for a new instrument, deep and sonorous. The complete opposite to a pea shooter. Perhaps more suited to classical than jazz.

It’s always a pleasure to visit Tom and George whose after sales is second to none.

piggywiddle likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021