1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Threaded Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Weirdo, Oct 10, 2013.

  1. Hey all,

    A buddy of mine has an ESP Set Neck bass, The truss rod has just been discovered to be threaded. What would be the ideal way of going through this? eg, What can he do to adjust the neck?

  2. hover


    Oct 4, 2008
    They're all threaded. Adjust at the adjusting nut with the adjusting tool. Look for a tutorial online.
  3. What do you mean?
    I mean as in the allan key hole has been threaded, eg - smaller key, ruined the original size
  4. Stripped.:rolleyes: Or rounded out.

    Someone will chime in with a decent way to remove it. I know how I'd do it but don't feel like being shot down at the moment. Then replace it with a new one.

    In the meantime, proper terminology will lead to better and faster replies.

    Good luck, Weirdo.
  5. thisSNsucks

    thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

    Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    you mean stripped not threaded.

    You can try putting a piece of duct tape or even a rubber band over the proper size allen key. The tape or band will hopefully fill in the voids and allow you to loosen the nut. I'd only loosen the nut that way you can remove it completely and replace it with a non stripped nut.

    Stew Mac sells a tool called the gripper, but thats a more expensive route.
  6. Sorry, Australian terms, we say Threaded, miscommunication.

    Anyhow, Yeah, Stripped. So you say Duct tape could fix it?
  7. M.R. Ogle

    M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

    Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Hey, at least he didn't say "stuffed!"
  8. Do we? Not in my neck of the woods; I'd say stripped :confused:

    Anyway, you need a screw extractor: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/se...crew extractor&look.x=0&look.y=0&tempOverride

    You may need to use a set of vice grips to turn the extractor, as the headstock will prevent you from using the standard 'tap & die' handle normally used with these. Good luck.
  9. thisSNsucks

    thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

    Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Well its really not going to fix the problem, its just a way of getting the nut to turn so you can get it off and replace it.

    You simply put a few small pieces of duct tape over the end of the allen key, insert the key and turn. Doesn't always works, as it kind of depends on how rounded out or stripped the nut is.

    its the same concept with the rubberband.
  10. hover


    Oct 4, 2008
    Yeah... for the record I was not being argumentative or sarcastic, I just did not understand what he was asking, nor do I presume that everyone here has the same skill level with adjusting an instrument, or a complete understanding of the mechanical function of all features of their instrument.
  11. Sorry, I wasn't thinking; this method is used to REMOVE stripped screws, not allow ongoing adjustment of. It will destroy the inside of the socket. However, that may still have to be your ultimate course of action for a long term solution; I suspect that duct tape will not provide a firm enough grip, given how tight truss rods tend to be.

    Perhaps check with the manufacturer and see if they can advise on whether the rod can be removed and replaced. Then either replace the whole rod, or get a new head welded on top of the original (if no replacement is available).

    Btw, this highlights the importance of using the correct sized hex key and ensuring correct & full insertion at all times.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.