1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Three Quarter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreenStripe518, Feb 7, 2004.

1. I don't have a bass guitar right now,but I really would like to get one and start playing. But I also play clarinet and piano. Well today at school, my band teacher let me try out her bass guitar. It was just a regular guitar, and she let me hold it and feel it and everything. But I couldn't reach all the strings because my hands were too small. So she said something about a Three Quarter Bass? She told me that I should get one of those,sense I can't fit into a regular bass. What do you think? I've never even heard of a Three Quarter,I've only heard of a short scale bass.

Also: What kind of amp should I get, for a beginner?
    How should I learn to play? My band teacher said to just start out with a red book, and learn the notes. She said that once I start playing, I can play for the Jazz Band.. YEAH..lol..so that'd be fun!

Thanks a Bunch!

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A short scale bass should work fine for you. Three-quarter typically refers to an upright (acoustic) bass, which come in full size (4/4) and 3/4 size (plus other sizes).

If your hands are really too small for a standard bass, get a short scale bass with a thin neck. I would also suggest contacting another bass teacher. Perhaps they can help you with proper technique that will allow you to play a standard bass. Lot's of people with small hands play bass.

JD

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would suggest going to www.rondomusic.com and checking out the short scale bass there. Wont get a better value.