Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Three Quarter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreenStripe518, Feb 7, 2004.

1. I don't have a bass guitar right now,but I really would like to get one and start playing. But I also play clarinet and piano. Well today at school, my band teacher let me try out her bass guitar. It was just a regular guitar, and she let me hold it and feel it and everything. But I couldn't reach all the strings because my hands were too small. So she said something about a Three Quarter Bass? She told me that I should get one of those,sense I can't fit into a regular bass. What do you think? I've never even heard of a Three Quarter,I've only heard of a short scale bass.

Also: What kind of amp should I get, for a beginner?
    How should I learn to play? My band teacher said to just start out with a red book, and learn the notes. She said that once I start playing, I can play for the Jazz Band.. YEAH..lol..so that'd be fun!

Thanks a Bunch!

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    A short scale bass should work fine for you. Three-quarter typically refers to an upright (acoustic) bass, which come in full size (4/4) and 3/4 size (plus other sizes).

If your hands are really too small for a standard bass, get a short scale bass with a thin neck. I would also suggest contacting another bass teacher. Perhaps they can help you with proper technique that will allow you to play a standard bass. Lot's of people with small hands play bass.

JD

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would suggest going to www.rondomusic.com and checking out the short scale bass there. Wont get a better value.