1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Through Neck/Graphite Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fretless B Clef, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Fretless B Clef

Fretless B Clef

Nov 27, 2011
    So, here we are again, asking about fretless through necks and graphite necks on an online chatroom of bassists. In any case, the story is I am looking a warm, fretless 5 ( with no fret markers ), that would have good sustain, and an innovative body design. I tried playing lots of different fretless basses, but couldn't find one I liked under $2000. So anyway I want to build one instead and have some experiance, but not enough that I feel comfortable making the neck from scratch. I am looking for something light weight, but still with good sustain (as in a through neck). And I was first drawn to graphite basses, emailed status and moses, status said they wont do neck throughs and moses never replied, and now we are here. I am ok with a non graphite as long as it's relatively lightweight so I looked at carvin and am seriously considering ordering a neck from them. So anybody have any experience with these necks and any graphite/wood alternatives?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Modulus or Geoff Gould for neck through graphite, Carvin Necks are really good for someone who can't build one. I haven't used a carvin neck in years, as I don't get many customers asking for 1 piece necks with ebony, and I prefer building my own. But yeah for what you are wanting, it may be a great choice.

3. Fretless B Clef

Fretless B Clef

Nov 27, 2011
    Thats what i was thinking as well, Its just that i dont feel comfortable enough to not route a giant hole through the face of the neck. Anyways just finished up a gfs build so now I am starting on this one, thinking of a piezo bridge and/or bartolini j's.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    For a fretless, I think Piezo is mandatory, to me, and a good preamp that allows you to sweep the mids like the Audere Classic4 which has sweepable low mid and high mid. I think this pre is awesome on fretlesses. These are just my opinion. Carvin makes a cool all in one piezo/mag preamp that is a great unit also. Just some opinion from my experience.

5. Fretless B Clef

Fretless B Clef

Nov 27, 2011
    Yeah, and i have this idead floating around of an interchangable styrophome winged body, with a wood through neck that could be smashed, dinged and completely destroyed and then replaced again and again, with the same through neck. And depending on what genre youre playing, the bass can look appropiately fitting. Alsoit would drcrease weight and have minimal effect on the sound.

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    If you are going to do foam body wings I would coat them in fibre glass to add some strength. It would also make them look realistic.

7. Fretless B Clef

Fretless B Clef

Nov 27, 2011
    Yeah i thought fiberglass to, but i also want to experiment with some other materials aswell.

8. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Carbon fiber would look awesome too ;)