Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thumb rest shape?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Funkateer, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My thumb "floats", which according to my definition, means that the RH thumb rests on the E or A strings, a pickup, fretboard, body of the bass, ... according to desired sound, shape of the line etc. I play a 4, and floating is great as long as I have a string to rest my thumb on. However, when it is time to play on the E string, my techique gets a bit less solid, as I can't count on there being anything to rest my thumb on.

I'm considering having a thumbrest made and installed on my bass, and have a few nontraditional ideas about shape. When I play on the D string, I stick my thumb between A and E strings, with the weight of the hand on mostly on the A string. My thumb is ready to provide a classical guitar style thumb pluck on the A string, while the side of the thumb mutes the E string.

The ultimate thumbrest for me would be positioned and feel like a B string on a 5, and would permit me to rest my thumb on E string / thumb rest just like described above when I am playing on the A string, and give me a consistent anchor point when I need to play on the E string.

Anybody do anything like this? I would assume a good luthier could fabricate such a thumbrest. Or maybe I should try a 5 again :)

Shapewise, I am imagining a hunk of plastic that in profile has a low edge and a high edge. The high edge would be sanded down to the approximate radius of a B string. The rest would be positioned so that the high edge is approximately where the B string would be, and the downward slope to the low edge would be such as to avoid string contact with the E string when digging in. The profile might actually be a right triangle.

2. I usually use the pickups, they're pretty solid and usually at a good distance from the E.

It would be cool to make it swing a little when pressure is applied, like a real string. Thumbrests are a little too chunky for my liking. Maybe a spring mechanism or something? The idea of making it the same size as a B string is pretty good.