1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thumpy/Low End Pbass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joshmickelson, Mar 10, 2010.

1. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    I love my two pbasses. The mid range tone really sits in the mix well. However, I have noticed that some of my favorite bass players are able to achieve more of a low end/growly tone out of their p-basses. I was wondering if any of you tb'ers had tips on getting this tone? I assume it's a mixture of playing/tone settings on the bass/tone settings on the amp. I am thinking of players like pino, nate mendell (foo fighters), colin greenwood (radiohead).

a video also for reference:

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I have Fralin PU's in my 62 RI (CIJ) Precision. I get pretty dang close to this tone...roll tone up on the bass about 1/4, maybe less. Crank the treble on the amp.

That's my formula anyways. Haha

3. what strings you using? How close to the strings are the pole pieces in the pickups?

Roundwounds and 3.5mm will help.

The P in the clip almost sounds like a synth bass. Can't help with that tone.

4. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Nice, I use a CIJ Pbass as well. I should think about new PUs eventually. It's easy to fall into the trap of just constantly having your tone and volume fully on, I need to mess with that more.

One of my basses is fitted with rounds, the other has roto flats. I am not sure on height. I can definitely measure that. Thanks for tips!

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

And the microphone, placement, DI, cable, $200,000 console, $3,000 compressor, priceless ears of the mixer and mastering engineer, etc. There's a fair bit of processing involved in the tone you linked, including a keyboard doubling the bass line...

But yeah, I like a 0.1uF cap and rolled off a bit, Chromes, etc for the fatty P Bass sound...play closer to the neck and it fattens up nicely.

6. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO

yea, that's another good point, it seems in general like it does take a lot of processing to get that kind of tone. Maybe more than my yba200 and pbass are capable of achieving.

7. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Just use flats, roll it off a bit, play near the neck, and get a bit of grit from the amp...you'll be really close.

8. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The Fralins are amazing, and they're only like $110. They're so responsive. When I'm playing the open E, it almost has a phaser effect you can hear slightly when its cranked up. I just noticed it the other night actually haha. I also have Fralins in my CIJ 62 RI jazz bass I like them so much.

On the P, I usually keep my tone knob between 0 and 1/4 roll. I lose some bottom end when I turn it up, but I think that's because I need my capacitor changed possibly...not sure, I have to take it in, but I'm in no hurry. Regardless, I still love the tone I get from my P bass.

Also, I use DiAddario Nickel Rounds incase u were curious.

Colin uses some interesting pedals and stuff (especially for the song u posted). U might wanna do some research on the Effects forum, or try googling it to check out his rig.

Best of luck. :bassist:

9. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    a couple other examples:

10. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    thanks guys!

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Seymour Duncan SPB 3's....enough said.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Just rolling off the tone knob 50% or more will make a huge difference in meat on a passive P-bass.

I'd suggest spending more time investigating and discovering the tonal abilities of your bass as it currently is before looking into how to change or 'improve' it.

13. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow. I absolutely HATED the SPB-3's, because they had too much output, were too strong in the mids, and too weak on the bass frequencies. Pretty much the opposite of what the OP was looking for IME. Perfect for cutting though in punk music, not so perfect for "fat bass tone".

Of course what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

14. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow. I absolutely HATED the SPB-3's, because they had too much output, were too strong in the mids, and too weak on the bass frequencies. Pretty much the opposite of what the OP was looking for IME. Perfect for cutting though in punk music, not so perfect for "fat bass tone".

So did I funny enough but through my Markbass combo with the right settings I get a good low end growly tone, which is what the OP is seeking.

15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Cool. If I ever end up with another set or try out a bass with them I'll have to check that out.

One cool thing about the Markbass amps - set everything flat and use the filters, and you can get some damn fine old school tones.

Of course the OP doesn't have a Markbass, so.... :D

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    That Electro Harmonix Knockout demo video did NOT make me want to buy one.

At first, the stock Precision sounds really pretty good, like... a P BASS... then, he kicks in the box, and it sounds like every bedroom-tone Ibanez or Epiphone cheapy I've ever heard.

If THAT sits in the mix better, I'd be shocked. I don't think so.

18. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    this is the tone i know and love

Barts+Ampeg= Mission Accomplished!

19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  20. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    'One cool thing about the Markbass amps - set everything flat and use the filters, and you can get some damn fine old school tones.'

True enough....I hadn't even planned on buying the amp but got a killer deal used....no regrets!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020