Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Commerford - RATM

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by metallicat, Jul 15, 2005.

1. metallicat

metallicat

May 3, 2005
    What do all of you bassists think of Tim Bob of Rage Against the Machine? :bassist:

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    He's my favorite bassist ever.

I'm pretty obsessed with this guy... and people on this forum may tell you i'm a bit too obsessed. :D

I love his tone, how he plays, and his attitude. I love how his favorite bassist is Geddy Lee, and all his effects. I got a Guv'nor and a 105Q because of him.

My favorite songs are Bulls On Parade, Calm Like a Bomb, and No Shelter. All are really fun to plays! :bassist:

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    For me, he never lived up to the hype surrounding him.

He did have a few cool lines, but I got bored with Rage Against The Machine pretty quickly. Repititive in a bad way. Not repititive in a Morphine-esque awesome sort of way.

4. GriffinREX

GriffinREX

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    abark000: I just wanted to say that you're quote freakin' rocks. Long time Clutch fan here.

As for Commerford I can't really comment. I don't really like Audioslave and haven't listened to Rage since high school.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    They are currently my favorite rock and roll band on the planet. I've only known about them for a few years though.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    10001110101 :bassist:

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Tim is one of favorite players. When I first starting teaching myself the bass, I would listen to Rage songs and try to play them all, note for note. Listening to his basslines really helped me tone my skills earlier on. Now, here I am, 6 years later, and I still think he's awesome. I'm not as crazy about Audioslave as I am for Rage (still praying for Zach to rejoin), but it's still great to hear Tim doing his thing and doing it well.

8. metallicat

metallicat

May 3, 2005
    I find that Commerord has a fat sound y'know, it's just big and in your face, especially with the distortion he uses...but he can always play fast melodic verses..all in all i think he deserves a :bassist:

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I dig Tim's live tone.
    I think he's know more for his tone.
    I agree, he repeats himself.
    Solid player.

10. i like him a lot. i think he has some of the best bass tone i have heard personally, and i really like how he and tom and brad sound together...i like him.
    as for the repeating himself, i just think thats the nature of that genre to be background to the singer/rapper's lyrics. personally i didn't listen to what zack was saying, but i really dug the music.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I love it too. It sounds like his amp is about to explode.

12. He is ok.. But his doubling the guitar part, just an octave down, gets old after while. I'd say the majority of his songs with RATM were like this.

Plus, I dont care for his attitude..

13. This is like the 800,000,000th thread on Tim, but hey, Ill post anyways...

I thinks hes a good player, He's got some really good lines here and there, Yes the riffs are repetitive, but so were the riffs of other bands at the time, except for TOOL, but thats a whole other story. I think RATM, TOOL, Marilyn Manson and NIN were the best bands of the 90's and RATM was certainly inspirational to some people, Im not one one of them, But Zack certainly speaks the truth, Especially on "Freedom", "Down Rodeo", "No Shelter" and "Calm Like A Bomb".

Back onto Y-Tim-K, His tone is really good, and even better live, his distortion is my favorite, and live he used it most of time while in RATM, Check out the "Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium" cd, They're last two performances. I think I like the first album the most, Tims tone didnt seemed so "processed", You could hear a little fretbuss here and there, And I like that, It seems more, Err, "raw" to me that way. Either way, I think time is a good bassist, I mean, If Rage played more complicated songs, Id probably favor him more, but I think people like his tone more than is playing skill, but then again, We really dont know what he can do, cause both Rage and Audiogarbage really dont play complicated riffs, Im sure Tom, Tim and Brad can, but I guess it just wont fit in with Cris's vocals, but somethnig tells me that it could with Zack's.

14. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    He was pretty damn cool when I saw him live, great tone =)

15. Due to noobs who don't know the definition of "search"

I happen to think he is a little less than humble, and too much of a braggart about things, and really kinda delusionally paranoid about his gear and his dealings with people that work with said gear, and that is an extreme turnoff. He can think he's in the best band in rock, and it's good to have pride in what you do, but really, what a neutered piece of crap this new record is.

I just wish people would stop deifying this and other players, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

16. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    His distotred tones are really the only distorted bass tones I've ever liked. What does he use? ...specifically on Evil Empire, if that's neccesary.