tim commerford

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joshsmog, Feb 19, 2004.

1. YES another pointless topic about him

I can't get his distorted wah tone very good what is the main part of that kickass tone like in calm like a bomb? is it the wah or the guvnor or whatever? i really like that tone and i just cant get the sharpness that he gets.
  2. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    The main thing about Tim is he has both a clean and distorted rig at the same time (most of the time he has wah on both the clean and distorted, and sometimes on just the distorted. I don't have it in front of me but I think that song has it on both). Listen really closely and you will hear it. It sucks because to really get that you need seperate cabinates set up like that, and that is expensive and a pain in the butt to bring to shows.
  3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    He also makes all his own stomp boxes, wires his own pick ups, and changes the wiring of his amplification and then tells no one what he's done. I guess you have heard how much of a tone freak he is! He's after the perfect tone both clean/and a distorted tone.

Andy :)
  4. The best thing I can reccomend for you in the area of getting seperate clean/dist. signals is to use an amp that has an effects blend feature so you can dictate how much of the signal coming through your amp is clean, and how much is distorted...
  5. well i have a stereo amp with a stereo effects loop but the disto ness sharp distortion wah sound is the part im trying to get and it doesnt sound right its kinda muffles sounding and his has this sharpness.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What order are you using the distortion and wah in? Wah after distortion sounds very different from distortion after wah. I prefer wah after distortion
  7. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    So even if you wanted to get Tim's sound, you couldn't?

8. Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    That isn't completely true that he rewires and builds his own stuff. In an article in bass player he goes off about how he likes to mess with stuff and has wired his own pick-ups and what not, but that is mostly him experimenting. Just because he replaces a ground wire like he says doesn't mean that he has an unobtainable sound, I have heard a lot of people who can get close with a jazz bass and the ibenez distortion pedal (I forget the name exactly). So don't think you can't get just about any tone with a little reading and test driving at a music shop.
  9. yeah, what wah does he use? its probly my odb-3 being way too fuzzy on me or my power wah being completely different from what he uses.
  10. I got close enough to his sound with my Big Muff and Dunlop 105q. My EBs Multidrive is doing a great job too, but you can't beat the BM's brutally deep grunt.