Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tim lefebvre (wayne krantz trio)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by narud, Sep 28, 2004.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    so, im officially addicted to listening to wayne krantz. i just got a few shows of his in on trade (ive already got all of his releases except long to be loose) and tim lefebvre plays some of the nastiest lines you'd ever want to hear. he's a much better fit for waynes style of music than lincoln goines was.

anybody know anything about him? i dont see his name around much, but maybe im not looking hard enough. and if you havent checked out krantz's music yet, do it :bassist: he's one of the few truly original voices on guitar ive heard.

2. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I just heard Wayne on XM today and I was like -- whoah! -- who the hell is that guitar player? He's nasty wicked bad, and AFAICT very very uncliched. Even more than Rosenwinkel.

Will

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    ooh...another one of my faves!

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Rosenwinkel is awesome but I'm going to go out and score some Krantz...the tune I heard was "Alliance/Secrets" off of 2 Drink Minimum. It was pretty rad. Is this the best record to get?

We always played Kurt's "Minor Blues" when I was in school a few years back...I love his solo on Crooked Creek on Brian Blade's second record. Awesome player.

Will

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the two albums they recorded at the [I think ] 55Bar with Lincoln Goines on bass, they don't even have song titles, the just improvise......just smoking stuff :bassist:

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    unfortunately 2 drink minimum is out of print. thats the old trio with zach danziger and lincoln goines. imo, the trio w. keith carlock and tim lefebvre is that much better.

out of the in print stuff, its hard to make a choice. greenwich mean is really good but you have to get used to the way the disc is put together. its all edits spliced together of different grooves from their live shows. once you get used to it its great. your basic live is a double live disc with no edits but the sonics arent as good. 2 drink minimum and greenwich mean sound great for audience recordings but, ybl isnt in the same league sound wise. luckily the music makes up for it.

as for rosenwinkel, his enemies of energy cd was one of the best things i picked up in the last few years. i loved his team up with scott kinsey.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Tim Lefebvre... We share the same last name :)

-robert

8. +1
    I have 2 Drink Minimum, Long To Be Loose, and Greenwich Mean. Great playing.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    caught Tim with Wayne at the 55 Bar in NYC a while back- he had a great big fat tone on his Fender Jazz and played his ass off, in a very intelligent supportive way. Wayne was unbelievable and Keith Carlock killed on drums- what a great night THAT was!

10. Keith carlock is an absolute monster on the kit...he kinda reminds me of stanton moore from galactic, I don't know why...

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Tim's been a Guy on the Scene for a number of years in NYC. He plays upright as well, was working for awhile with Pete McCann (Palmetto Records). In fact that whole rhythm section (Pete, Henry Hey, Tim and a couple of different drummers) was the nucleus of a club date band for a long number of years. He has (had?) a solo/leader recording out, mostly downtown kinda funk, did some vocals on it.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ed,

Have you caught his BOOMISH gig? Tim is an amazing player, but he has great sense of humour as well... (http://www.boomish.com)

Ahhh.... Thursdays, going to see the WK3 (hoenig, AJ, Danzinger, Linc, Carlock, Lefebvre... WILL LEE!!!) at the 55... how I miss living in the NE. :crying:

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    "The Over-The-Ear look,
    A product of the 80s.
    The reason we did it
    was for the ladies"

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tim and Keith Carlock comprise one of music's greatest rhythm sections ever. Be sure to get Wayne's double live cd from his web site. That band changed the way I listen to music. It will never be done like that again. I couldn't possibly say enough about that group. Keith is now playing with Sting but I'm not sure what Tim is up to. I'm really looking forward to hearing (seeing) Wayne's new group with Anthony Jackson though........

15. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    http://www.livekrantz.com/ just went up with a bunch of live sets for 5$ a pop. The last Carlock/Lefebvre/Krantz show at Tribeca is up there too.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    aargh. i hate being on dial-up :(

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

nice....
    :cool:

18. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been a fan of the main Krantz trio (w/ Lefebvre & Carlock) for years. Greenwich Mean is the one for me.

I didn't know about www.livekrantz.com... thanks for sharing. You can go to get all of Krantz's music, including 2 Drink Min, from the main site www.waynekrantz.com. Apparently Wayne is completely distributing himself, so it's easy to buy direct from him. Come to think of it, I saw him several years ago at the Boom Boom Room in SF and I bought my copy of Greenwich Mean directly from him during a break. I gave him a $20 and told him to keep the rest, but he wouldn't have it and give me my $5 change. Nice guy. :)

Another Lefebvre CD to look out for is BedRock 3 with Zach Danziger & Uri Caine. It came after 2 Boomish CD's and seems to be on the "out" side of things. Lots of Drum and Bass kind of stuff. There are several articles out in the web on Boomish too. Just search Google for them.

As for Rosenwinkel... I love his stuff too. HIs new sound is good but I love his earlier covers of standards where he respins everything in his style of things. "East Coast Love Affair" is by far my favorite, "Intuit" is good too. Lots of that haunting backup vocal that he gives to his guitar. I just saw him on a double bill with Jim Hall last month at the SF Jazz Fest. Looks like he's working with some new toys (pedals) and didn't do the singing thing at all. :( But it was still pretty dang emotional. I nearly died when he actually played East Coast Love Affair (the title track of that album). Just wow!

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just grabbed both sets from 11/4/04, w/AJ. Absolutely Smokes! :bassist:

20. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That's what's taking so long...