1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Time to tell the truth: how much does your bass weigh?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pilgrim, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a digital scale and I'm not afraid to use it. Also, it was a slow evening. That's a bad combination.

After starting this thread, I decided to try and collect information on the weights of a range of bases...so I came back and modified the thread title and this post.

The weights of my basses in pounds and ounces from lightest to heaviest:

• Applause AE-40 ABG: 4.1
    • Rogue VB-100 Beatle Bass: 6.1
    • Kay KB-2 SG-clone: 6.4
    • Univox 335-copy hollowbody: 7.8
    • Jay Turser JTB-401 '54 P clone: 7.9 (with 11 oz of weight added in the bridge cover for balance)
    • Epiphone EB-0: 8.1
    • 1963 P-bass: 8.3 (with bridge and pickup covers)
    • 2000 MIM Jazz: 9.1 (with bridge and pickup covers)
    • P-Special custom fretless: 9.1
    • OLP M22: 9.7

Not a real boat anchor in the list. But I can definitely feel the difference between the three heaviest and the rest. Those of you who have basses weighing over 10 pounds have my sympathy.

Tell me what your basses weigh - and over time, I'll build a spreadsheet with the data.

EDITED TO ADD:

Please help me by giving me clear, easy to read information. Don't abbreviate ANYthing...I don't know what "DIY P bass" means. Also, "Jay Turser" or "Rogue" is not helpful unless you include the model ('54 P clone or JTB-401).

And I don't know what a Fender "ADPV" or "ADJV" means. Please understand that I don't know the names of private maker or boutique basses, and that abbreviations more unusual than "Fender MIM" probably are not clear to me.

Please give me:

Manufacturer - Specific Model - Year (if known) - Mods - Weight (pounds/ounces)
    Example: Jay Turser - JTB-401 - 2007 - 6.1 pounds
    Example: Fender - USA Jazz Re-issue - Year unknown - X pounds

If I don't understand what you're telling me, I can't include it in the spreadsheet. And I will interpret 6.25 pounds as 6 pounds, 4 ounces. 13.5 pounds is 13 pounds, 8 ounces.

Thanks!

2. TunaCaserole

TunaCaserole

Feb 13, 2008
    I have never heard of the first bass, is it Acoustic? I use to own a Rogue Beatle Bass, man I miss that thing. Threw some Chromes on that and it was great. Light as hell also, I just ordered an SX P, its going to feel heavy as hell after playing the VB. :D

3. My main bass is 7.5 lbs.

as for my P's, 14 pounds a piece. Certainly not a walk in the park to play.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Applause AE-40: an Ovation with a different headstock...

Applause_Bass_WS-2_in_case-1.

And just to give you an idea, here's the P-special fretless, which is my own refin with a lot of other work:

P-Jbassfull.

5. Squier VMJ natural... 10 lb dead

caveat: my scales only read to nearest 1/4 lb: digital bathroom scales, weighed the bass by weighing myself with and without the bass. As a result, the weight could be up to 1/2 a lb out either way...

6. would a fish scale be any good for measuring the weight of a bass?

7. How is this "useless?"

The weight of instruments is important to people who actually use them.

IMO.

Ken J and hover like this.
  8. And oddly or ironically enough- at this time this thread is right next to a Peavey T-40 thread.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Hey Pilgrim, it would be great to have one big directory of this stuff... maybe other people could add their basses' weights and we could make a sticky out of it!

I don't have a scale handy, but I will measure mine and post them as well.

According to Bass Player magazine, my Variax 5-strings weigh 10 pounds 4 oz each.

I can't find a weight for my MTD Artist 5 or Z6 online, but I will keep looking, sorry!

Emster likes this.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I know my geddy jazz weighed close to 11LBS

The neck sans tuners is 950grams.

My wenge/ebony warmoth neck is 1200 grams sans tuners.

11. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    +1

12. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    my Squier Active Jazz 5 and KSD Fretless 5 could both double as anchors for a cruise ship.

Im guessing at least 11lbs each.. There HEAVY..

13. nah no scales on a bass

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i would think that a bass with a little weight to it would sound more resonant. A balsa wood bass would be a pretty crappy instrument. Of course you'd have to take into account the comfort factor, but would an extremely light bass sound as good as a nice solid chunk of hardwood?

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've been told the lighter bodies are more resonant and growly, while the heavier ones have more sustain and punch. B.S.? dunno

16. Not necessarily. If a wood is too dense, it can hurt sustain as certain frequencies hit that brick wall. Light woods can have plenty of sustain.

17. My digital scale only goes up to five pounds, I'll see if I can't pick up a larger one and get some weights of my basses to add....

18. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    The weight of a bass is a major consideration for me as I have both lumbar and cervical disc problems. I think it's a great thread!

eottjake likes this.
  19. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    In my experience I'd probably agree with that. The lightest of my Rics is indeed the most resonant and growly (and it's my favourite) and the heaviest does indeed have greater sustain and punch (doesn't sound as sweet though). Same with the 2 Jazzes I owned. If it's BS, it's BS my ears seem to agree with. Of course it could just be coincidence.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We have scales at work which are accurate to 0.1 lb (used for weighing medical LOX). I hate guesstimations!

Riis

justbass57 likes this.