1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tips for New and Aspiring Bass/Music teachers

Discussion in 'Double Bass Pedagogy [DB]' started by Adam Booker, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    I have recently completed my DMA and have accepted a position at a university. I asked Chris to allow me on this particular forum because I would like to share with other, more experienced educators, as well as those of us who have academic aspirations.

So how about it bass teachers? Any tips for a freshly minted baby doc? Also, tips for those who are about to enter the fast-paced world of academia?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    No tips, but congrats on your accomplishment!

3. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Thanks!

4. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Here's a tip: The office administrator is your best friend. Treat him or her with respect. They will make you or break you! I am finding more and more that without my department's administrative assistant, I can do NOTHING!

5. Congratulations! I realize I'm a bit late, but I do have a tip: Remember the many music teachers who are out in the trenches! I live near a state university with a nice music department. Unfortunately, for years the music department has had a very poor outreach initiative to the local schools (public schools within a 20 mile radius). I'm sure you have much to offer them, and vice-versa! Best of luck to you!

6. JamesAdams

JamesAdams

Aug 6, 2013
    Reardan, Washington, US
    Teacher : Barefoot Music Studio Budding Luthier
    I would echo what Rick said but add private teacher to that as well.