1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tips on playing chords on bass.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TUEP, May 5, 2010.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I started with bass first and then later learned some basic guitar structure. Yet, I am a bass player. Here lately I have been experimenting with chord patterns on bass. Any recordings or bassist you could recommend me to, that have used chords in their work?

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Oteil Burbridge!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    stanley clarke, victor wooten, jeff berlin, ed friedland, les claypool, geez, just about all the name virtuoso bassists do pretty amazing chordwork these days.

4. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Check out Alex Blake if you like jazz or upright bass at all.

5. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    Mike Manring.

6. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    All of the above are good suggestions. If you're a metal guy check out the song Orion by Metallica. It has some pretty neat chord work in the middle of the song. It's not very technically demanding and you could probably learn to play it rather quickly but it's a pretty good example of how chords on the bass can work really well in the context of a song. However, I should mention that the chords aren't played as chords in the sense that all of the notes are played together, rather the chord tones are plucked individually like an arpeggio.