Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TKL "Zero G" soft cases...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 27, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My MTD 535 came with a TKL "Zero G" case. I'm not crazy about it, but I guess I'll keep using it until if/when I get some kind of ATA case.

Two questions:

I was told that it actually afforded more protection than a "regular" hardshell case, due to the positioning of support and reinforcement. Opinions?

I am seriously thinking about cutting out the support straps that keep the case from opening past 90º or so. They tend to get caught in the zipper and have to be tucked into the case every time. Anyone else try this?

Any other thoughts on these cases?

2. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I cut those darn straps the 1st day I got it! They always get stuck! :cool:

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    no regrets? The "lid" will flop over 180º without lifting the bottom part? :bassist:

4. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    No regrets bro!

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Joey. I was going to PM you since the thread had dropped off the first page... thanks for checking back in on it! I'm going to cut those d@ng pesky straps! :D

6. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I agree about the straps, they get in the way and this is a bit awkward. What also bothers me with this case is that the handle is not off-center, so the case isn't balanced when the bass is inside.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup. Also, getting it to stand on it's side (i.e., handle-up) without it falling over can be tricky.

I'm trying to figure out what these cases *do* have going for them. :confused:

8. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    What is the better case between the MTD Zero-G Travel Case, or the SKB Deluxe Hardshell Bass Case ? is the SKB specially molded for MTD's ?