to bridge or not to bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by louelou, Mar 15, 2006.

1. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    I just got my new 60's classic jazz bass. I want to put a badass on it. What would you guys do?
  2. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    if it's a vintage axe, I'd leave it alone unless you never plan on selling it. on the other hand, if it's a direct replacement (no drilling) I guess you could switch it but if you do, keep the original in a safe place in case you need to restore it back to the original state.

that was a big help, huh? :ninja:
  3. louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    It's a MIM reissue, so I'm not really concerned about it being pristine. I just think the Badass is a much better bridge. If it already sounds great IMO, would you even bother to replace it, or do you think the badass would make it that much better.
  4. jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    In the past I've been very dissappointed in the tone change with a Badass bridge on a Fender Bass..

Not any noticeable improvement in tone.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you like the tone already, then I would leave it alone. Opinions vary, but many seem to say that they notice little to no improvement in tone after switching to the BA.
  6. nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    ive got the same question actually, but for the p-bass special... would there be any difference in what to do here
  7. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Try doing a search. There's quite a few threads regarding whether or not a BAII is worth it, and some discussions about whether or not it affects tone.

In my experience, I found it to be a much sturdier bridge, and it did seems to make my notes clearer and punchier, as well as improving sustain. Also, the look pretty "bad ass," which doesn't hurt.:D
  8. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    my son changed the bridge on his MIM Jazz with a BAII because the factory bridge kept vibrating out of adjustment. it used to drive him nuts. the BAII took care of that and he's very happy with it. he installed it himself but took it to our regular tech to have the saddles notched. fwiw, he says he can tell a difference in the sound and sustain. I don't play it that much so I don't have an opinion on that.
  9. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I had the exact same experience ith the BAII on my 77 Pbass. Notes more defined and more overtone response (a bit more "modern" sounding) . I actually noticed the difference more in the mix than when playing the bass stand-alone.
  10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The BAIII is string through the 60's classic is not...
  11. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    "If you like the tone already, then I would leave it alone. Opinions vary, but many seem to say that they notice little to no improvement in tone after switching to the BA."

+1....I say if the sustain is decent then leave well enough alone.
  12. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    $.05 worth of LockTite thread locker would have fixed the vibration problem too . . . . not much of a reason to replace a bridge, at least not in my opinion . . . .

- Tim
  13. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    you may be right but it was his money and his bass. ever try to talk a teenager out of anything? :eyebrow:
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put one on a MIJ Jazz and liked the tone better, but put one on a Yamaha RBX-250 and thought it made the tone worse. I think it really depends on the bass. It seemed to add unpleasant harmonics to the Yamaha. Both of these mods were 10 years ago, and both basses are gone now.

I have had numerous Fender and Fender style basses since then and always leave the stock bridge on them. I think it sounds good and don't really see any point in changing the bridge for the slight improvement (or possibility that it will make it worse as on my Yamaha) that it makes.

If it sounds good leave it alone. Or as my dad used to say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".