1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To mod or to trade? (MIJ Squier content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the art guy, Apr 24, 2010.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    (As some of you know) I am a big fan of '80s MIJ Squiers. I have a couple, and my main player is a Franken-P that combines a real '72 body with the neck from an '83 Squier Bullet. This is my favorite P neck of all time.

So I just picked up another Squier Bullet Bass for a steal. I'm trying to decide what to do now. I've been thinking of parting it out, keeping the neck and using it for a project, specifically a P bass with a fat humbucker (like the Tele bass ones). But in the interest of rounding out my stable a little more, I've also considered trying to trade this Bullet for some kind of semi-hollow (like an Eastwood Classic, or an older MIJ something). I could use the different tone in my band (but of course the mudbucker P would also give me a different usable tone).

Or, of course I could keep it as is. I know the value on these will go up slightly, but it's certainly never going to be like having something that old with Fender on the headstock.

Give me some opinions if you have nothing better to do.......thanks.

2. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    I vote to keep it as is for two reasons...

1. The price will probably go up a bit more than you think.

2. In 20+ years someone will but it and be really stoked to get a legendary 80s MIJ that is so stock and hasn't been parted out.

3. MPica

MPica

Feb 13, 2010
    I agree with this to a certain extent. If resale value is something thats really important to you, I'd follow Ben's advice. You already like it as is, so why not keep it stock and rock it how it is. Then 20 years down the road, you'll be able to make a big profit.

That Franken-P you mentioned on the other hand, sounds like a good candidate for a nice humbucker :ninja:

4. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Hmm....thanks for the opinions so far. Keeping it as is sure isn't a bad idea. I may not play it a whole lot right now, but it maybe worth hanging onto in order to preserve the trade value down the road.

On the other hand, I'm not really the patient type.

6. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Man! Lucky!!! That bullet sounds sweet...can we get a pic?
    Heres my 2cents. As you know I finally got my hands on a MIJ Squier and I am looking to get more. I also own a all original 73' mudbucker tele that i love. I understand your wants and needs for the bucker and for the type of music we both do the mud works.

But, I would vote to keep the bullet a player and not mod it with a bucker. You can go out and buy the newer Squier with a bucker if you are gassing for that tone. The vintage one's cost 2 grand or more now :meh:

8. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Good point. Yeah, I should probably drop a couple hundred on the newer Tele Bass and use it for a while to see how I really like the sound. Really wish I would have grabbed an original Tele Bass back when I first was getting into vintage gear. Can't afford one now.

9. the art guy

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Oh, and pics later. No camera here.

10. Dont worry about its future rare-ness , you dont keep a bass pristine worrying about who will own it when your gone . Do whatever you need to it to make it a useable tool in your hands. All my basses get modded and parts that are original i sell off, if the basses are collectables in the future mine wont be worth much.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thats a tough call. I dont even like to think mods to some basses that are over 25 years old or IMO "vintage " due to its is what it is...if you know what i mean. I want it to be what basses were back when they were made that way. The MIJ Squiers are getting harder to find and i couldnt touch mine. Its staying original and i enjoy them that way. My 73' tele..NO way i would mod it since its already worth a few bucks.