Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias dual truss rod question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brock29609, Mar 18, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Just picked up a used Tobias (shown below). I'm knowledgeable when it comes to measuring neck relief and adjusting single rods, but this dual truss rod is new to me. I've been told that the dual rods should have near equal tension. However, look at the photo of my bass below. The left rod is flush with the end of the nut, whereas the right rod is recessed. This tells me that the left rod is screwed tighter than the right one, no? Do I have a bad thing going on here? Any recommendations on if or how I should adjust?

Tobias Renegade 4
    [​IMG]

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The rods could be of slightly different length. I wouldn't worry about it. The purpose of the rod(s) is to give you the correct amount of relief in the neck and if that can/must be achieved with the rods under different amounts of tension, then so be it, as long as one of them is not at the breaking point while the other is slack.

3. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    As I look down the neck, from the bridge side, the headstock on the left side (E-string side) dips down. The neck twists counter clockwise from this perspective. Think improper tension between the two rods could be the reason?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Absolutely. The proper course would probably be to remove all the tension from both rods and start from scratch. Determine the relief with the bass tuned to pitch and add equal tension to both rods until you get either the bass or treble side to where it needs to be, whichever comes first. The may come into proper relief at the same time. If one side still needs adjustment, make minor tweaks to that side's rod until both bass and treble side have the desired relief.

5. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    I am too having the same issues and complications. Both my trussrods are working fine ..where i could tighten them to a backbow!
    I was only confused when i was tryinh to get a front bow to have a little neck relief to avoid string buzz and NOTICED that my trussrod (low B,E, section) cannot be relieved anoymore ..the the truss rod screw comes off.. but the rod of the higher strings (G,D) has a lottle more room for forward bow .
    And i also noticed that if i tighten that rod there will be movement on the lower string rod. Is this common.. i am finding it hard to balance both relied ..setting that rod perfectly straight could cause the lower string rod to back bow .. and i can release it cause i have no more room for neck relief on my lower strings
    Please help !! Basically it defeats the purpose of having 2 rods ..
    Best regards

I own a tobias classic 5 pre Gibson

6. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    CORRECTED !!
    I am too having the same issues and complications. Both my trussrods are working fine ..where i could tighten them to a backbow!
    I was only confused when i was tryin to get a front bow to have a little neck relief to avoid string buzz and NOTICED that my trussrod (low B,E, section) cannot be loosen anymore ..the the truss rod screw comes off.. but the rod of the higher strings (G,D) has a little more room for forward bow .
    And i also noticed that if i tighten that rod there will be movement on the lower string rod. Is this common?.. i am finding it hard to balance both relief ..and setting that rod perfectly straight could cause the lower string rod to back bow .. and i cant release it cause i have no more room for neck relief on my lower strings
    Please help !! Basically it defeats the purpose of having 2 rods ..
    Best regards

I own a tobias classic 5 pre Gibson

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    The two rods work closely with each other- if you relieve the tension on the D/G rod, it'll give you room to adjust on the other, as you noticed.
    Release a little tension on the D/G rod, then add just a little on the E/A rod to balance.

8. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    Thanks for the prompt reply ..
    What i am trying to do now is get the perfect setup ..to get the D,G rod to be a little straight but that would make my B,E too straight ..and my room to loosen the B,E rod is 0(no more .)
    :( i usually get good results with my other basses
    Pls advise

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Loosen them both so you get some forward bow. Let it rest overnight. Tighten both, but tighten the D/G rod about a full turn more as you flatten the fretboard. When you get near close to what you want, let the neck settle overnight again, then finish adjusting the relief the next day.
    Hopefully, that'll get it right.

10. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    Thank you bro.. will try this method
    Should i do this with 440 string tention or remove all my string ?
    I noticed through my setups sometimes that certain wood reacts slower than others. Or maybe with the dual trussrod system and the placement of the rods reacts to the neck differently ..
    Moreover its a 7 layered wood. :)
    Thanks you again
    Will get back to you soon bro
    Have a great weekend there !!

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Leave the string tension on when you loosen them- you can brace the bass body with your foot and knee (one foot, other knee), then pull back on the headstock a bit to take the tension off the truss rod threads while turning.
    When tightening, either do the same, or detune a whole note at least to help the threads.
    I always brace the body, then pull back on the headstock to take the strain off the threads while adjusting (no jammed/galled threads or stuck/broken truss rod that way), then let the rods hold the position.

12. Polish your frets while you're at it.

I bought a used Classic 5, took it to a luthier for fret buzz. He said neck was fine, frets were filthy needed a thorough clean. Buzz gone, played like a dream after that.

13. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    Hi Groove Doc .. i will also get the frets cleaned up ..but by looking at the frets closely ..they look and feels ok .. no fret wear. But i know for a 2007 bass it definately needs some leveling
    The guy i bought the bass from owned it for 2 years ..he picked it up from a guitar store that i believe would have done some job on the frets and set up since it was on a used sale.
    I am not gettin the trussrod set up the way it should be .. :) and its bothering me a little.
    Regards

14. Jamakhai

Jamakhai

Jan 29, 2015
    Singapore
    Here is the pic of my bass :)

Attached Files: