1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Tobias Killer B 5 String Made in California Vintage!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by randallmanmusic, Apr 25, 2020.

1. randallmanmusic

randallmanmusic Supporting Member

Price:
    $1400
    Strings:
    Tobias Killer-B 5 String Bass Vintage! Killer B 1.jpg Tobias Head Stock.JPG Tobias bridge.JPG Tobias back.JPG
    • Tobias
    • Manufactured: California USA
    • Year: 1992
    • Scale Length: 34 in.
    • Frets: 24
    • Weight: 8.2 pounds
    • Color: Natural Satin Finish
    • Body: Swamp Ash
    • Bolt-On Neck: Maple & Purple Heart Laminated
    • Head Stock: Black gloss w/ Mother of Pearl Tobias logo
    • Fretboard: Pau Ferro (no fret markers)
    • Pickups: Bartolini
    • Preamp: Bartolini 9 volt
    • Electronics: Master volume control, a pickup blend control, 3-band cut/boost EQ, and a two-way mini-toggle switch to bypass the EQ
    • Serial #00712082
    This is an excellent sounding bass! Constantly received compliments from sound engineers when running direct to the board or live on stage. This bass belonged to Darryl Anders before I purchased it over 27 years ago. I played it exclusively for about 10-15 years but it's time for a new home.

This beautifully crafted instrument is one of the very last basses to come out of the California factory before Michael Tobias' departure, and the plant moving to Nashville.

This excellent playing bass with a thin neck can be set up for low string action if desired with no fret buzz. The natural aging looks unique and gives it a truly authentic vintage vibe. The only noticeable wear is on the body over both pickups where your thumb rests on the B string, and the black finish is fading on the bridge.

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Nice bass. Love my 2 Tobias's.
    GLWTS

3. randallmanmusic

Thanks, it is a great sounding bass. Does the GLWTS mean you don't think it well sell?

4. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Nice bass. Any trade interests? GLWTS is usually a sincere statement around here. I say that to everyone with 100% sincerity.

5. randallmanmusic

Ah cool. I'm not too interested in a trade unless you have a Trickfish amp you want to part with?

6. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    do you have anymore info on the bass? I thought the last number to come from the CA shop was #2044 and that it was only after Gibson took over that they started doing Bolt-on?

7. randallmanmusic

I have had conversations and confirmed with Michael Tobias a couple times over the years and he states this is one of the last basses made in California before he left the company in 1992. This has an eight digit serial number not like the four digit numbers Gibson uses on the newer basses. although Gibson had already purchased Tobias they have no information on the serial as I have reached out to them as well.

8. randallmanmusic

After Gibson purchased Tobias, Michael Tobias stayed on board with Gibson to produce basses until 1992.

9. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

Very interesting. I know Tobias used 4 digit numbers both before and after with the exception of the short run one made by Pedulla. The numbers of the basses that Michael did while under Gibson were from 1095-2044. This is the first I'm hearing of the CA shop doing this.

10. randallmanmusic

Here is '95 that sold on Reverb with a similar serial number.

Attached Files:

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    that would date it way later in the Gibson run tho.

12. randallmanmusic

Here's someone's explanation of the longer serial numbers which would make my Dec 8th, 1992.

Attached Files:

13. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    Thank you for taking the time to go over this!

randallmanmusic likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021