Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tobias Toby Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dansheep13, Aug 31, 2005.

1. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    Does any1 own a Tobias as I am thinking about getting one. Either The Tobias Toby Pro 4b or 5b springs to mind. Any thoughts? Or any recomendations for bass guitars, 4 or 5 string, under £750.

2. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Loads at that level mate.

I used to own a Tobias 5 - made in the US by Gibson (it had T-Bird pickups) and to be honest it was rubbish.

Just sold a pre-gibson Standard 6 (MIJ) which was in contrast an amazing bass. Are you set on getting something new?

Musicman SUB 4 & 5 are around that level new or a Stingray is roughly that secondhand, and both would certainly crap on the Toby's which require pickup/pre swaps to make them sound halfway decent (if you want to find out more about that mod search on www.bassworld.co.uk there's aguy on there with EMG's IIRC).

Also check out either used G&L or the Tribute range. In that price range there are loads of Ibanez you can try out, it's often very surprising the quality and tones you can get out of their basses so try not to be prejudiced against them.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Tobias 'Toby's' are no longer in production. The Pro and Deluxe models are done!

4. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I had a Toby back in the day. They are easy to play, but the tone is crap. If you bought one, I would budget in a complete replacement of the pups and electronics. Honestly, there are a lot nicer basses you could buy with the money.

Mike

5. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    wOT TYPE OF BASS THEN? DON'T LIKE MUSICMAN OR STINGRAY

6. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Why? What sound do you like? That budget leaves 75%+ of the bass market open to you if you include second-hand stuff.

Go to your nearest (decent) music shop and just try out as many as possible.

Fender, Warwick, Yamaha, Ibanez, Dean, Peavey....

7. dansheep13

dansheep13

Aug 31, 2005
    I like a deep sound but with lots of clarity and even though I play mostly metal, I don't want that sound, I'd like a more bassy sound like Sikth's bassist James Leach. It's hard to describe but it's more of a rounded, clear tone. If that makes sense