1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tommy McClure bass info needed !!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bazza99, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bazza99

bazza99

Aug 19, 2009
    I have just relistened to "Don't play that song" by Aretha and thought WOW - who was that bassist?? I searched a lot and found out it was a guy named Tommy McClure. He played in the Muscle Shoals session band "The Dixie Flyers" and they backed Aretha on that track when she recorded it there.

McClure is totally underated - he deserves recognition for "Don't play that song" alone!! A fantastic walking bass line if ever there was one. Plus, I presume he's a white boy as a lot of the session players down there were actually white, believe it or not...

Does anyone have any further info on him - is he still on this planet??

What other funky traxx can I listen to with him on it???

Any info would be really appreciated

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  3. drummersgirl

drummersgirl

Dec 5, 2013
    I met Tommy years ago when he played with Kris Kristofferson
    and the Borderlords. He was living in Memphis, TN at the time.

4. Brenda Clarke

Brenda Clarke

Jun 11, 2014
    I just recently discovered Tommy McClure on the same song. I did some research, and. if you really want to hear all he has to offer, download the Memphis Horns album "Soul Horns". You can not believe it. He is especially awesome on the song Share Your Love with Me. I am in awe of the guy.

5. BassChic12

BassChic12

Apr 14, 2018
  6. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    IMHO, you can tell a white or black player apart from "where" they tend to play.

I've always noticed that the afroamerican bassist tend to play on the lower register (I think about Jamerson immediately, and the Motown basslines), contrary to the white players that usually go for the higher register (Donald Dunn in primis).

I guess that it's somehow related to the culture behind the player and his/her heritage.

it's not only in the player, IMHO, but also in who writes the piece: for example, the basslines from Boney M are more often higher in register then the american disco music.

British bass players like McCartney and his legacy tend to play higher, but when I hear a low bassline, maybe with lot of five string's notes, usually there's a black bassist or there's Quincy Jones backstage :D

what a wonderful world the music is