1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone control not working.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheUberRhys, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TheUberRhys

TheUberRhys

Aug 6, 2012
    Hey, I thought I'd see if anyone could help me with a small problem seen as I'm an absoloute beginner at bass electronics. The Tone Control on my Precision Bass isn't working. Everything appears to be connected apart from this small blue wire.

9pyjur.

I was just wondering how to fix it, thanks.

2. Looking at the picture, it's meant to attach to the 'lower' leg of the volume pot. You'll have to solder it.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Like this:

Attached Files:

• temp.
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
  4. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    That is correct. Connect it to the LOWER leg in the picture. However, the UPPER leg of the volume pot should be connected to the black wire. Most people bend this tab over and solder it to the back of the volume control.

5. Doesn't matter. That's where the black wires are soldered anyway. And in this bass the pot cases are joined by an additional ground wire, which then runs to ground at the jack. All good.

6. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    In the picture, I don't see that upper lug connected to anything. If it's not connected, you'll never be able to turn your bass all the way down. It's gotta be grounded. It doesn't matter where all the black wires are connected. That upper volume lug MUST be grounded somehow.

7. Ya, I figure it must actually be connected but we can't see it in the pic.

8. TheUberRhys

TheUberRhys

Aug 6, 2012
    So if everything else is connected (which it appears to be) it's just a case of soldering the blue wire to the bottom leg of the volume pot?

9. Yep.

10. TheUberRhys

TheUberRhys

Aug 6, 2012
    Alright thanks for your help guys :)

11. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    It doesn't surprise me that the tone control was unhooked in the first place. I don't use mine (or should I say I always have it on 'ten'.
    As far as the volume leg not grounded, that was just overlooked, I guess.
    Good luck. Let us know if it works.

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Yes, and if your volume control is working correctly the top leg of the volume pot is connected correctly even though we cannot see the connection in your photo. It is not impossible that a previous owner would disconnect both the tone wire and the volume pot leg to get the brightest possible sound out of the bass. The volume and tone controls on the main amp are convenient enough for some players. But your photo does not show any evidence that the top leg of the volume pot was ever connected to anything so I assume that it is connected and we just can't tell from the photo.

Ken