Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone pots

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Was kind of confused as to which forum to post this on, but here goes:

Are tone pots separate from the preamp? If I replace a preamp, will that take care of bad tone pots? Am I even making any sense?

2. Well, technically, you don't have tone pots with an active preamp, instead you have boost/cut pots instead, which is, pretty much the same thing.

IME, no active preamp comes with pots, at least none of the ones I've bought.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    In that case, where would one buy replacement pots? I've been looking around, no luck.

4. I would assume that Radio Shack or a local electronics dealer would/should have them.

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Find a local hobbie shop, or check out one of these fine retailers:
    I've ordered from all 4 of these sights with great luck and high quality. All but Mouser are great resources for learning more about Vintage Amps, DIY Effects, and DIY guitar electronics.

6. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Nice links, thanks a lot.

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Doh, sorry to bring this up again, but the pots on those sites seem to be geared toward amps and such. I'm looking to replace them on an active/passive bass. Any difference in what I need? And could anyone give me recommendations as to which specific ones would work well for this purpose?

Sorry for not knowing crap about this subject.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    *L* no worries.

Most of those sights are geared towards amps and effects.

Guitar Electronics is all about the axe, tho.

Guitar Electronics Pots

Hope this helps!

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ooh, perfect! Thanks sooo much!

10. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    NP...

Just look at your old pots to try to determine what value/style you need.

11. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    Just gonna mention that Radio Shack is going to be way overpriced, and unless you are buying only one or two cheap components you are better off with an online supplier. They also don't offer much in the range of selection, and you want to make sure you don't buy crappy ones. Also make sure you are getting the right values.