1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone: Yamaha SLB100 vs. SLB200

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by iualum, Mar 23, 2013.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    For anyone who has owned and/or played and/or heard both.

Want one of these & would like to hear tone opinions. Subjective, I know, but still...

1. How do they compare arco & pizzicato?

2. Of course strings make tons of difference. What single set of strings seem to cover both styles very well?

3. Which preamp is better and/or more versatile?

4. Not talking about flights on this one, but otherwise, is the SLB100 a much greater pain to schlep?

Yes, know there's a mega, but want to try this before wading through everything. Plus, searched for SLB100 in the mega & only found 6 posts, which I've read but don't speak to my questions here.

Thanks very much in advance.

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :help:

…Bueller?…

:help:

3. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    Sorry but I've never compared the 100 to the 200 but my 100 is not bad to schlep around. It's heavy but the way it plays is worth it.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks very much Moose. ;)

Bumpage for any other comments. :D

5. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    I have owned both. I think the 200 is a better instrument. Very versatile. With the smaller size, o can use a short end pin, and sit in a regular chair...like a cello player. Great for show/pit work. Better electronics than the 100 (unless you need an aux in for practicing), and it has an acoustic chamber (albeit a small one) so the response is more upright like than the 100. I have many posts about the 200 in the mega thread. Both will take some getting used to if coming from an acoustic db.

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Thanks very, very much. I was leaning toward the 200. I see it is the way for me to go.

Now I just need to keep a keen lookout here & on evilbay, lol.