Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Levin's got a new book coming out.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Tony apparently just put out a new book, The King Crimson Chronicles , which is a photojournal of the TLev years in KC. Looks like it will be pretty cool; I've already ordered mine.

Sometimes other people's careers make me feel like I'm not getting anything done with my life. Tony is probably the worst: accomplished bassist, band member, band leader, web developer, producer, record company exec, author, photographer... GAH! He's got so much going on, and he still smokes my ass. I've got nothing but a job and a website. Geez. I don't think he ever sleeps.

I also found a clip of him jamming with KC 3 days ago at the KC rehearsals that are now taking place. He's sounding solid, while the other guys sound a little off... and he hasn't been in the band since what? 1997? Here's the link to the clip.

Yeah... what Matt Till said. Word.

2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Sweet!

The sound on the vid is tough to discern who is on and who is off. I guess that's why they call it rehersal. :)

Crimson is the only prog band I still make an effort to go see (last time I caught them was at the fillmore but they were playing with with trey gunn - must have been 98 or 99)

Tony's work is deceptive. His timing and feel is amazing.

Can't wait to get the book!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Best in the biz IMO!

4. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1

But hey, think of all the time he saves by not having to shampoo and condition every day. He can spend that time woodshedding, etc.! :D

5. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Hey Mr Strange,

Tony Levin was one of my first big influences. I learned alot of his basslines early on. I love his solo stuff.

Thanks for putting the word out :hyper:

Pete

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You gotta give it up for T-Bone.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Killer clip! Tony's the man!

~S~

PS: Ben, I think he has "clones" ala: "Multiplicity"

8. Tony's my neighbor. I SWEAR!!!

On a serious note(another one) I've never really heard Tony's playing, although i probably should....any recomendations on what to listen to?

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So I got my book in the mail today, and guess what? Tony Levin signed it!!!! :eek: There was a little note inside that said that they were going to do this as an unadvertised special deal for the first few orders. Woohoo!

The downside: it's not a hardback. I was expecting it to be hardcover for $25, but oh well. The pics are really well done, and there's alot of interesting historical and gear shots of KC. Indispensable for a hardcore KC nut. Good stuff.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Send it to me man....I'll send it back with only a few coffee rings on it.

:ninja:

brad cook

11. "Thela Hun Ginjeet" is such a ripping tune! thanks for the link, Benjamin!

from the lows,

Stew

12. I just purchased to King Crimson's Absent Lovers: Live in Montreal. I read in a Modern Drummer interview with the drummer, Bruford, that this is one of his favorite albums. Anyway, this is a glorious CD. If you want to get a good taste of King Crimson and how simply marvelous Levin is, this may be a good place to start.

13. I've got to get it!!!

There is also a new DVD of that KC lineup...

King Crimson - Neal and Jack and Me (Live 1982-84)

Heard it is really good...

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It is. I believe I started a thread about in Recordings somewhere...