Tool - Disposition (for a Whammy IV)

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This is a song showcasing Justin Chancellor's great Whammy use, but like me, you probably don't have a Bass Whammy unless your Tbirdbasser. ;) So for those of you with the Whammy IV, this is my tab for the song.
    This song, you need delay and a Whammy set to 5th up/7th up. I'm not able to tell you the exact delay time, but it's relatively fast. Just listen to on the track when he holds out the low D.

Tuning: DADG
    (#) = Harmonic
    W/ = Push Whammy from toe up to toe down so that it sounds like your sliding. Don't move your fingers though.
    W^ = Whammy Toe Up
    W_ = Whammy Toe Down

Riff 1: Just play one note, let the delay do the work.

Riff 2: Listen for timing.

Riff 3: Listen for timing.
    W^........ W/

So give that a whirl and tell me how it works. The fingering isn't too hard, it's just really fun to play!
  2. That sounds good, and its pretty fun to play... The only thing is that right before that first D harmonic, I believe Justin plays an E harmonic (riff 1).
  3. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I love TOOL and Justin's work that's what caught my attention to this pst. i don't have a wammy so I won't be ableto try this...i'm onlt posting cuz I suck so much that I don't even know how to read tab. I take it that the numbers on the letters denote what fret to finger??? Othewr than that I don't knnow how to make sense of any of it.
  4. netmazk

Mar 21, 2005
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  6. Its Tbirdbassist Petary :eyebrow: :smug:

I do have a Digitech XP100, Not a bass whammy. I hade one very briefly but had to sell it :bawl: .

They usually go for around $350-400 on ebay, I think its a bit much, But Id still be willing to spend that much for one if I came aross it on ebay and I have the money.

The XP 100 is a great buy and has the 5th/oct up postion as well as the Oct up position Justin uses. And they only go for around $150-200 on ebay and I think a better buy then the Whammy IV.

The only other guy I know that owns an XP100 on here is Zongeek. He should stick his head in here eventually.
  7. Id also like to note that....

On the forums, There is a section that has been created for the correction of tabs and untabbed songs, Ive done a couple myself(IM also a moderator in there), But the more Tooltabbians, The better! So please go ahead a join, Although dont act like a little TOOL fanboy, You'll get eaten alive.

The Tooltabs Tabs Section.
  8. im gana give this a wirl in a bit, but how do you do harmonics?

my guitar playing friend tells me that u have to use the picking hand's thumb to put while u pick, but i remember reading something about not fretting all the way but applying a bit of pressure to teh string
  9. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The way they're generally done, you just rest one of the fingers of your fretting hand directly over the fret, on the string, but don't push down on it, just touch it, and then pluck it with your right hand. The strongest harmonics are at the 5th and 12th frets.

As for your guitarist, it's the same idea. I think what he's talking about is fretting a note (instead of using the open string) and then holding the harmonic with your thumb and plucking it. Either way is valid, it just depends on what harmonic you want to hit.
  10. As soon as I get a Whammy pedal, I'm going to try this out.
  11. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Go for it. It's a ton of fun.
  12. oh snap, your unbanned? :D
  13. Unbanned from what?
  14. not you, petary :)