Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by asian fish, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asian fish

asian fish

Mar 18, 2003
    Which bassist did you like or did you think suited most..
    Paul or Justin...?

I think Paul's sound was great.... although I can never seem to get it on my bass.... anyone have any tips on how to get that sound..? Equalizer settings or something..?

Thanks...

2. sachiel

sachiel

Jul 24, 2003
    lafitte ,La
    Kinda hard for me to decide> :confused: Tool sounded totally different with Paul than they do now with Justin.

As for Pauls tone, I know he used Rickenbackers, a Stingray,and ALOT of Chorus effect. Also, they both use Picks.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i agree with sachiel. the band changed gears in a big way when paul left and justin joined. i like them both for what they did in the band.

as far as pauls tone gos: he started with an ovation magnum, then ric chris squire model then stingray. id say boost your mids and high mids, use a pic for sure, get some grit out of your amp if you can, use chrous where applicpable and a lot of distortion. that should set you, oh and be aggresive. i think thats how paul pulled off what he did. i knw he used mesa 4x10s and possibly mesa amps and i know he used ashdown amps at one point, he might still today.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I personally prefer the band now with Justin at bass, but I think it has to do with the bands more technical/polyrythmic direction that I prefer. Paul was good, but JC adds a bit more technically to the band.

5. asian fish

asian fish

Mar 18, 2003
    Yes I agree with that...
    Tool got a lot more... Rhythmical..? when justin came in.
    The bands total direction got a lot less... angry... if that makes any sense..?
    Both are great players nontheless.
    Thanks for your help... I'll try your suggestions now..

Thanks. :D

6. Loren

Loren

Feb 2, 2004
    'sober' was one of my mid-90's favourites on the set list, and i got a perfect tone using a cheapo P copy, a di box, a 3 channel guitar amp, chorus, and kept a pick at hand.
    the trick was to run from the bass to the di, then run a clean signal to the board. also from the di, run a signal to a chorus stompbox, then to the marshall valve amp (100w combo). the marshall has a built in di out, so run that to the board. mix heavy on the clean and dial in some of that marshall dirt, and the tone is just ****in perfect.
    the sound was so good that i still use that rig today, a sansamp. a loud marshall valve amp, and a relatively inexpensive bass (ive never spent more than $500 for a bass).

7. I think I like Justin a lot more but Danny Carry has something to do with that. On the first couple albums he was just a typical metal drummer but on Aenima and Lateralus he got extremley dynamic with his arsenal of toms and never lingering on cymbals for too long. Tools music may not be the most technic ( - drums ) but their music has such a good sound and rythm to it.

If you look at a band like a cake you can easily seperate the good bands from the bad. The actualy cake is the bass and drums and the frosting is the guitar and vocals. You can have awesome frosting and a weak cake and it will suck. If you have a solid cake and an o.k. frosting you will still have a good band. Thats is why Tool is so succesful even with an o.k. guitar player.

8. danny carey was NEVER a typical metal drummer.

your band theory has a major hole in it, adam jones is an awesome guitarist with just as many layers as justin. for TOOL, without adam-it wouldn't be TOOL. maybe it would be a good band, but that can be said if they lost justin-and kept the rest-which happened with paul.

for me i can't compare the two. they both rock in there own ways, but i do say justin is way more experimental.

9. I wasnt saying Adam isnt a good guitar player. His music just isn't as technical as Steve Vai or Joe Satriani.

I guess you are right ( as I listen to Cold And Ugly ) about Danny Carey, he was and always will be better than than the drummer from Metallic

10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'd say that Adam really doesn't NEED to be technical like they are because then he wouldn't fit in the band.

Is there any Tool news to report? When's that new album coming?

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    This topic has been done several times, please do a search.

Much Love
    Mama Cass :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.