1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Torn MCL

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Hey all, I tore my right MCL at a gig this past weekend (preliminary dx from the orthopedic surgeon... Still awaiting MRI verification). Anyone here have a similar injury? What am I looking at recovery time? His assumption was it's a partial tear, but he wasn't sure.

Any help is appreciated.... THANKS! :)

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    This happened to a buddy of mine when we were snowboarding powder in Utah. I had already flown down the run, and I was turning to get a picture of him and our other buddy carving some fresh powder. He hit a rock that was only partially submerged beneath the snow while going full speed. He did a complete flip and then crumpled on his knee like a sack of potatotoes. He was out of it, just breathing for a good five minutes. In a lot of pain. We got him down the hill, and handed him over to snow patrol before continuing our day, much to his dismay. LOL.

Anyway, this buddy of mine is a doctor. Interventional radiologist. I asked him for you. He sent me ths link to a killer site with all types of information. Nice gross pics too.

http://www.webmd/mcl.net

3. Just when I think you couldn't be any more of an asshat!!! Hahaha

4. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Done and done. Actually. He did tear his MCL though. Surgery. 3-4 month recovery. Did you get some good info on that link. ;) :D

5. lol. Douche!

MRI is tomorrow. If it's a partial tear, then no surgery, but a few months of recovery. If it is a full tear, then surgery AND the few months of rehab. Grrrrrrr!

6. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Maybe you should click on it again. :ninja: :bag:

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Man Eric, thats some serious gigging your doing. I try for no-contact bass playing myself.:D

How did it happen? Was it the mosh pit with your wireless and adoring fans getting out of hand? Or did you twist it playing Teen town at 425 BPM? Or was it carrying the SVT cab up the stairs?:p

Anyway, I hope you get better. Sometimes these injuries can be dealt with by therapy.

8. Thanks Steve. I honestly am not totally sure how it happened. It was so quick and so damn painful. I guess I came down wrong when jumping around, and my leg just buckled.

....I couldn't play teen town at 1 BPM!!!!! :p

9. Maybe you should eat my ass. LOL!

10. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Go on.... Click it.... click it again. You'll feel better. You know you want to. ;)

Monkey.:D

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Take it easy on the recovery! Looks like you'll be playing your conklin out of a seat now! :p

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've torn the MCL in both knees, twice in one knee. Once at the same time I tore my ACL.

Rehab is long and grueling. But it also depends on what level of activity you are attempting to return to. I was still playing competitive football, so the rehab was more intense than someone just looking to be able to play some hoops on the weekend and return to normal physical activity.

If you are issued a brace, don't let it become your crutch thinking you have to rely on it for any kid of physical activity. At the same time, braces won't "prevent" injuries, so don't act like Superman when you put it on either. :D

I would suggest getting your own TENS unit and using that at home in conjuction with your rehab. That has really helped me recover. Make sure you get clearance from your doctor or PT doc before you run out and do it though. You can score one for around $75-100.

-Mike

13. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I heard you can heal faster in Chicago. Something about the air...

14. RAWR!!!! ;)

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Maybe a trip to India and a dip in the Ganges will do you a world of good!

16. LOL! :D