Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Total newbie here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ould, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Ould

Ould

Dec 23, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hi Everyone,

I am a complete newbie. New to this fine forum as well as to basses. I read through the forum a little bit before I decided to actually register and post.

A little info about myself. I have always had a fascination with the bass guitar and have always been drawn to bass heavy music for some odd reason. I always thought I was odd as most people tend to be drawn to the guitar and possibly the drums. For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to get a bass and learn to play but for whatever reasons I have never actually gone through with it. I have always liked rock/heavier type music but as I get older(almost 30 :crying: ) I have broadened my horizons and find myself listening to a wider range of music but still mainly listen to rock/alternative type stuff(listening to some primus at the moment). As for playing musical instruments, the only instruments I have played were way back in public/middle school(recorder, ukelele, clarinet etc) so I don't have much experience and nothing recently. Through high school many of my friends played guitars and every now and again I would play around with them but not enough to actually learn anything. That's a bit about my history so you all know where I am coming from.

Lately for some reason I have been bitten by the Bass bug again and am wanting to try learning it but I have no idea where to start, well buy a bass obviously lol. I had some questions concerns before taking the plunge.

1. Will I still be able to learn to play seeing as I am a bit older and I know learning something new seems to get harder with age?

2. Would it be recommended to take lessons or to learn on my own?

3. Should I start with a 4 string or just learn on a 5 string?

4. Recommendations on a beginner bass? I have been scanning ebay looking for options and there are lots. i.e. I kind of liked this one ebay peavey good/bad/not recommends for a newb?

Those were a few of my initial questions. Any other input or advice is greatly welcome. I was thinking a bass would make a nice xmas present to myself.

Sorry for the length, thanks for looking

Kevin

2. You might have to work harder at it, but I'm sure you'll be able to learn.

Take lessons is the best choice.

Well, if you start with a 5 then you wont end up having to buy a new bass if you want a 5 later on down the road. Also there won't be the in a way annoying (was for me atleast) transition between 4 and 5 when you first start playing a 5 (if you go down that road). But if you start with a 5, there is the possibility of it being a bit harder to learn on (although I don't see why really).
    I have no idea about the Peavey, never played it before. If you aren't sure your totally going to be sticking with this, I'd look for a MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender Jazz or go for a Brice or SX (SX/Essex are the cheaper ones) on www.rondomusic.net

anyways...hope that was of some help. The wiser folks will be along shortly.

3. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    You are absolutely not too old to start bass. There are some people on this forum who started when they were down right geezers. The downside is that you have no musical background. It's easier when starting later to transfer musical knowledge from one instrument to another. SO, I'd highly recommend that you take lessons.

On getting a bass, all that matters is that it is in very good condition. If the neck is screwed up or it is somehow uncomfortable to play, that will get in your way and discourage you from the brave task! The rondomusic recommendation is a good one. It's hard to believe that such a [[cheap]] bass can be good, but you can check out this thread on that:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57599

Have fun!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome! This thread will be a better fit in Misc, so off it goes...

5. Definately not too old. Sometimes skills that require coordination are easier to learn quickly when you are younger, but trust me... almost 30 isn't old.

Some instruction is always valuable. Even if you wind up being mostly self-taught (nothing wrong with that either) chances are that if you can learn a foundation of techniques from a more experienced player, it will open up a lot of things for you and make it easier for you to avoid the dreaded plateau. But I highly recommend finding your own style within these techniques. Case in point.... watch video of some famous guitarists like SRV, Hendrix, Page etc. and notice how often they wrap their thumb over the neck - technically poor technique! But the best players find the balance between proper technique and what works best for their abilities and limitations.

Just remember, even if you are a guy listen to a song and figure out how its put together and played - you can always get better and more versatile if you let yourself learn.

I still think it's best to learn on a 4. If you are used to a 4 and then have to play a 5, you can ignore that fifth string or work it in as you get used to it. But, if you aren't used to a 4, and then have to play one for some reason... you are suddenly subtracting from what you are used to and that is more likely to screw you up, IMO. Eventually though, you'll probably decide that a 5 is just more versatile. You will also need a backup. And then... you will be addicted and will start buying extra basses for reasons that only you will understand.

I'm convinced that one of the best bass values is the Schector Diamond Series. I picked one of these up last year and I love everything about it.