Total Noob To the Standup

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Petary791, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Since i've been listening to Primus, i've gotten really into the stand-up. I also want to join Jazz Band next year and I think a stand-up would be cool. So I have a question for you. I'm only a Freshman, so I'm short on cash and i'm looking for an EUB. I was checking out the Dean stand up, anyone think that's a good beginner bass? If not, what's a good (relative to the price) stand up bass?

Thanks a ton guys!

And one more thing, on the song "Mr. Krinkle" by Primus (on the Pork Soda album), does anyone know how he gets that sound with his stand-up? Is it just a regularly stand-up or is he using distortion?
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The Dean is worthless. It has a BG bridge and a BG neck. You'll never get the right technique playing it -- it's also got BG scale and a slightly-rounder-than-BG fretboard. Look for a Carruthers if you want to go REAL cheap, but I've gotten great reccomendations in the last few posts in my topic "DB or EUB?" in this forum.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    What is a stand-up? I think I have one of those on my bicycle.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are you mocking me?
  5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Not exactly a welcoming remark, dude. I think I smell some bad bait here!
  6. Hey, I'm a big Primus fan also. Claypool played Mr. Krinkle with a regular double bass, probably a 4/4 size and used a bow, probably caked with rosin. By the way, I think stand up is a bad word around here, lol. Anyway, I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a double bass really bad but just didn't have the cash for the one I wanted. I had my eyes on the NS Design that les claypool plays now. It goes for about $2879.99. I also looked into the dean but thought it wasn't worth it. It seemed like just a fretless bass standing on its end. I doubt that thing sounds anything like a DB. So, this is what I did. I searched the internet on building my own DB and found bob gullihur's website. He has a very useful website with lots of information on his own homemade DB. Here is the link.
    After some major brain-storming I went and spent 70.00 bucks worth of wood. Hard rock maple and bloodwood were my favorites, and just a small piece of ebony for the nut, bridge and cover plate. I am no luthier by any means, but I did manage to build my own electric double bass. check it out on this link.
    It wasn't really that hard to build, more time consuming than anything. and a whole bunch of filing and sanding. I have about $640.00 bucks invested in it. I didn't buy the cheap parts either. The most expensive thing to purchase was the strings right at $150.00. I used d'addaio hybrid strings. I also installed a double big twin piezo pickup and pure preamp by K&K sound, each around $100.00 bucks. I took the preamp apart and bought nicer pots for it instead of the little plastic pots that are not made for constant tweeking. It sits on a Pearl tom stand that ran me about 110.00. The hardest part was shaping my finger board, I just used a hand planner and started shaping. The whole thing turned out sweet. I couldn't be happier with it. It plays and sounds and looks awsome. You might give it a try. There's nothing like playing your very own homemade instrument on stage. A good place to start is with a premade fingerboard available at bob's website.
    well good luck finding/making an EUB.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's just a meaningless term - you are in the Electric Upright part of the Double Bass forum - the correct terms are written out for you in the headings of the forums - how easy do you want it to be...:meh:

Les Claypool plays an Electric Upright bass live - the NS design - and he also plays Double Bass ocasionally - but not "standup" - I have never heard that term used before!

I stand up to play my bass guitar, but I would also stand up to play violin or flute etc. ....:meh:
  8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Double bass, contrebasse, upright bass, stand-up bass, doghouse bass, etc. are all synonyms, AFAIK.
    A little search on Google with "stand-up" or "standup" will bring results related to the doubles bass.
    Or am I missing something else?
    Now please move the discussion back to the EUB!
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Not at all. Believe me, I'm one of the good cops in this precinct.

There's a lot that I don't know about double bass, since I've only been doing it for about thirty years, and even more that I don't know about EUBs. One thing I do know, as long as there's an Ed Fuqua, I'd never use the term "standup" in these forums, unless I'm talking about peeing.

Just tryin' to help, son. My EUB is an Azola, and I can recommend it highly if you want to spend that much. The Dean is pretty toylike in comparison. Much cheaper, though.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I've never heard anybody in the UK talk about "stand-up" except when referring to comedians!! ;)
  11. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    And anyway, you can get a decent plywood bass for less money than an electric upright.
  12. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah sorry for being a ****, I thought you were making fun of me! :p

Thanks for all your input, especially toonman!
  13. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Petary791, as long as you can get your hands on an EUB that you like and keep asking questions it will be a great instrument to explore. The Dean is more related to bass guitar than others, that is the whole point of the design. I tried a few of those at the 2005 NAMM in Anahiem. They were all over the place! It is a decent, usable instrument. And affordable. I wouldn't choose it for myself at this time. A couple of others worth looking at in this style of instrument are the Clevenger Bassboy and the Azola Gypsy, and maybe one by ZETA. I've seen some EUB kits online also. (And no, I am not an instrument dealer, or builder.)

Playing EUB, you may find resistance and outright hostility from some acoustic bass violin (aka double bass players) from time to time, as well as other musicians that feel the EUB doesn't merit space in music. This type of attitude has been something I've experienced, anyway. For myself, I love the instrument, and that's why I'm taking a moment to write here!

By the way, I think that Claypool *IS* doing some pretty interesting things on the EUB!

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I haven't found any resistance to my EUB whatsoever. Most people seem to love the thing.
  15. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Of course not everyone has! I remember an old Downbeat interview with Richard Davis where he discussed the criticism he recieved in NYC when he sterted using the Ampeg Baby Bass in jazz circles. It is a very real attitude that some musicians have towards EUB's. I hope that nobody here ever has to experience it! ;)
  16. Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Fwiw. I have bass guitars, an EUB and Double Bass. All three are very different. Each instrument I play has a different sound and occupies a different space holding down the bottom end or as a solo voice. I try to choose the right tool for the job, as I perceive it.

On a recent rock/pop CD project I worked on I used all of them on one track or another. I had the luxury of swapping out instruments several times before the final takes. Doing this made me see how each instrument suggested different things to me in the same composition. Choosing the right instrument for the song helped me compose parts that were supportive and yet distinctive while still serving the song.

I suggest playing whatever instrument is calling you regardless of the cost or the “rules”. Study it as thoroughly as you can. Find your own unique voice with whatever you choose, and play it as if each note were your last.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

I have on many occasions - especially from DB teachers in the UK.

I was at Jazz Summerschool last year in a bass class and one of the students came up and looked at my EUB and started saying how much he liked it and then the teacher (a Jazz DB pro) came over and started saying how they were a waste of time etc. etc. and basically told this guy not to buy one! :meh:
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    An EUB sounds like a regular DB right? Also, I would still need rosin and whatnot correct? I know they're kind of a dumb questions...

And would this be ok that i'm running through and Ampeg BP-210SP?
  19. Bruce Lindfield

If you're very lucky a good one will sound like an amplified DB - but never like an acoustic DB!

I've found that scale length around 42" is essential and decent DB strings , along with raising the action and playing with DB technique - otherwise it can sound very much like fretless BG...:meh:

You need rosin if you want to bow - otherwise not!
    I would say this is the one other big thing about how they sound - so my experience has been that using typical rock bass guitar amplification - it sounds more like bass guitar.

What you really need is "Hi Fi" gear that reproduces what is put into it faithfully without any coloration or distortion.

Usually this kind of gear is expesive - but it does make a big difference in terms of making EUB sound close(r) to amplified DB!

I think in many ways this is why people say that EUB is a waste of time - as it will probably cost you more to get an EUB to sound like DB, than if you bought a reasonably-priced DB!! ;)
  20. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well that's a very good point (your last sentence.) Should I get a DB and a pickup, or an EUB?

I'm so confused!