1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toting my DB on a cart

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by JimmyM, Nov 1, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just got this cart today (it's the R10 for those scoring at home), and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to tote my stuff. Thought I'd post a pic to see if any of you veteran DB toters have any better ideas. This way, it's holding pretty well, but it seems pretty unwieldy when I have to get through kitchen hallways and the like. So please feel free to suggest better ideas.

BassCart_zps0822019b.

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Hope that is a ply bass. I just wouldn't put my bass on a cart like that…too easy to topple. And, even if it's ply, the stands could mar/dent the finish. Get a separate wheel device for the bass. You may have to make 2 trips, but chances of a disaster are much lower. I have wheeled both bass and a cart filled with gear, bass in front, cart in back, many times...

3. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    Wow. That's extreme! Good luck.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Too tall and narrow. Plus the bass could roll off the top even if held on by bungees.

I think you could greatly lower the center-of-gravity of the whole assemblage. Put the cabs sideways on top of one another at one end. Then the head, sideways. That leaves a large triangular gap for the bass, on its back. Lose the bass stand. Hang the bags off one end, or find a different way to pack the small stuff.

Trying to tote that much gear in one trip may be courting disaster. My approach when transporting gear is that everything revolves around protecting the bass. Much as we love our amps, they're disposable compared to our basses.

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, that looks very precarious. C'mon Jimmy you know that!:)
    That bass rig of yours by the way must sound really good..I see 2 Ampeg SVT 210av's and the V4 tube head. More than I'd like to move around for DB, but I'd sure be happy if it was backline!

I've been using the Magna Cart to tote my bass. There are different sizes and shapes available, they are very sturdy lightweight, compact, and very affordable. I agree, the bass needs to have it's own tote separate from the rest of your gear.

http://www.amazon.com/Magna-Cart-Personal-Hand-Truck/dp/B000HVVSDU

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Funny you say that...I tried it last night, and promptly knocked the V4B off the cab with my upright onto the garage floor. The head still works just fine, but the grill popped clean out and dislodged the rivets that hold that decorative piece between the grill and the chassis. It's still on, but it's quite loose. Guess I'll need to send an email to Dawn the engineer on Monday to figure out what to do. Still, all in all, I came away from that experience quite impressed with the build quality ;)

But yeah, I concluded you guys are right. Tote the upright separately.

7. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
  8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not that I would ever NEED to do something like that, but why not put a speaker at each end, the amp and such in between the two speakers, stands down on top of that and then the bass on its back on top of that? Center of gravity is lower, weight load is spread more evenly across the cart, the bass has broader points of contact...

9. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Then there's the two trip method.

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Or use backpack straps like I do.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't know about London, but here the two trip method is good for your stuff becoming Someone Else's Stuff. especially if you have to park more than two blocks from the gig.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The only thing my back pack straps are good for is climbing stairs. If I try to walk wearing them, the bottom bout of my bass keeps hitting my calves. In order for it not to do that, I'd have to constantly walk like a geisha.

13. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

C'mon Ed...Some of us are eating lunch....

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Living in LA I would have thought you would have had to swallow far worse.