Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Touching the bow?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Dharmabum, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Dharmabum

Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've gotten conflicting rules on touching the bow to see if there is enough rosin. My first teacher said "try not to", I've heard "oh lord don't!" and my new teacher says "yea, why not?"

It might sound trivial, but I was wondering if it really matters. Would the amount of grease on your thumb affect the bow?

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Have you ever touched a nice glossy photo and left a fingerprint on it? You leave behind oil from your skin and it doesn't come off all that easily. Oil and grease attract dirt and dust like crazy. Over time it can add up; especially if you frequently touch your bow to see if it needs rosin. A good rule of thumb is to rosin your bow before you begin playing. If the rosin begins to cake up on the string; wipe it off. If you feel like you need more; use more. You really don't need to touch the bow hair to figure out if you have enough rosin. I'm not even sure if that would be a good indication. Rosin is sticky and you don't want it on your fingers. Hope this helps.

Joe

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Just play a few notes. You'll know whether you need more rosin or not.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I never touch it to see if I need more rosin, but I usually give it a light bounce off of my hand (karate-chop position here, fellas) to see if the hair's tight.

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Why not try the same thing on the string instead of your hand?

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My thoughts exactly...
    I just play for about a minute or two to warm up and let the rosin soften before I decided whether it needs any. Your rosin works up a much better tack when it is warm, and you'll find yourself using less.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Laziness? Convenience? I call it "economy of motion."

8. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I usually bump it into my knee or string to check the tension if I'm not wearing nice pants.

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've done that too -- the pants thing.

10. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    I try not to touch the hair, if I do, it's with the back of my hand which is much less oily than the palm.

I doubt the oils make THAT much of a difference, but I like to keep my gear in good shape.

Chad

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The reason not to touch the hair with your fingers is the oils in your hands. It can dirty the hair, but more importantly, the oil can cause the bow to slip or prevent the rosin from taking to the hair.

I wouldn't sweat a little touch now and again, but I would not make a habit of it. You can't really tell if you have the right amount of rosin from a touch anyway. As mentioned, you have to play the stick a bit and let it warm up.

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Well said.