1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toughest cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassrique, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Two categories: Classic and neo.

You know, falling out the back of a van..... all that abuse.

And I'm especially looking for experiences and opinions on cabs that really stand up to high humidity.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to live in the Virgin Islands, and hands down the best cab to use in high humidity situations was a Hartke with aluminum cones. Paper cone drivers got sluggish when the humidity was at its worst and sometimes I would even see mold grow on the cone surfaces. Then again, we're talking some extreme humidity. The Hartke I used, never a problem and always sounded the same regardless of humidity.

Mesa "road-ready" cabs that are built around a flight-case type frame are best able to sustain road abuse, for sure. Any cab can reside inside a separately-built road case as well, but remember that road cases get HEAVY. That's why I've stopped using mine.

3. +1 on Hartke. Too bad the XLs are kinda heavy.

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Mesa Road Ready or anything in a roadcase... But that's when weight really does start to get a little insane, even for my tastes.

5. I'm not really looking to talk about "roadcased" stuff [I threw the "falling out of a van" line more for fun], but that's cool if anyone wants to.

What I'm thinking more about are the light weight cabs. Who makes the toughest product that can stand up to the elements?

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    The elements? Do you plan on leaving them out in the rain?

7. Yes would be the short answer.

Even though you come from an area of the continent that has virtually has no "weather", I think you know the long answer.

I'm just looking for ideas, experiences and opinions about light cabs that will put up with fast moving storm cells that blow moisture under the cover of whatever cover there is. Then there are the geniuses that have bands play near misters :rolleyes: The list goes on......

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'd still say Mesa, even outside of the Roadready styles. Mesa cabs are built like tanks. High quality no-void ply's with a great deal of internal bracing. The Mesa Rhino Vinyl is legendarily tough and stands up to road abuse very well.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Mesa's, especially the Diesel series.

As for Neo, my Schroeder with Rhino covering is built like a tank and weighs nothing.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Mesa cabs are all built like tanks. MIA Ampeg stuff works well for me too.

11. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    Mesa Road Ready is built like a TANK!!!

12. I've never really checked out Mesa/Boogie, so last night I did. Nice site, but the prices are where? I looked up my local dealer's site, and nothing. I tried another local seller....nothing.

Am I missing something?

It isn't like I don't have a good idea of the prices, but I'd still like to see some numbers.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/blog/23970/

They don't advertise their prices. They want you to go to a dealer, play it, be blown away, THEN ask how much it costs ;).

14. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    I use Acoustic amps, But GK puts out some heavy duty amps check em out.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hartke,

there are some unbelievably ratty 4x10's i've seen in half a dozen rehearsal halls, and man, they keep on ticking.

but any cab where you can find its replacement at a GC is worth your while. also, if you tour and gig that much, and yet, arent quite at the pay scale where "cartage/rental" is an option, go for the GC, no questions asked warranty policy. i could imagine that being a great boon on the road.