1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Touring and looking for a new sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Look ItSPencer, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Look ItSPencer

Look ItSPencer

Aug 19, 2007
    Rodinia
    I recently switched back to bass in my band www.myspace.com/rodinia, and was looking for some advice on decent equiptment with a good tone. As of now im running through an older Gallian Kruger 4x10 cab with Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head.
    any segestions for a nice punchy heaver sound?

thanks

2. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    There's lots of good stuff out there. What price range are you trying to work within? Judging by the sound of your band, I'd say check out some Ampeg gear, especially their tube amps, like the SVT-CL, and their Classic series cabinets.

3. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Whats your price range?

4. Look ItSPencer

Look ItSPencer

Aug 19, 2007
    Rodinia
    my price rang is around a grand
    yeah i was definitly looking into some ampeg stuff, i was looking to buy a head first and run it thu my gk 410
    thanks for the replys

5. A 2nd hand SVt-CL or II PRO or Fender Bassman 300PRO anything 2-400w w/ tubes for yr kind of stuff IMHO-then U'll never need another amp anyways :)

6. Some things to consider if touring: tone and pack space.

My daughter (www.aroarah.com) has been on tour all summer. They are on back-to-back Warped Tour now. Every venue they play has full PA support, meaning all the fussing over rig tone is essentially for nothing. Most sound guys will take DI directly from the bass. Some may mic your rig.. it all depends.

Pack space is also critical. Aroarah has a 5x8 trailer that is crammed full of their gear. If you have a large rig, pack space is a huge consideration. Especially so, if the rig will essentially be used as just a stage monitor.

7. Look ItSPencer

Look ItSPencer

Aug 19, 2007
    Rodinia
    I am definitly considering both of those, if i can just find one at a low price. do you think they would sound alright running thru at GK 410 though?
    Yeah, we have a decent trailer so the space isnt really an issue with just my 410. true most every place wee play i get a DI the tone still carries though.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Genz Benz.

You can find Mesa stuff on Ebay in that price range too, if you like that type of rock colored sound.