Traben Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smokey, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Has anyone heard of this company, Traben Basses? I just noticed these basses on music123, and they have interesting paint jobs.
  2. yeah, good question. I just saw those on the BassNW site.
  3. Anyone have any opinions on them, the way they look, or anything? I like the designs.
  4. to be honest, in my opinion, the steel flame thingy round the bridge looks corny
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think it loos pretty cool. If you were in a rockabilly band and just needed to play electric, this would be perfect. And I want one.
  6. Yeah, these look really cool. Has anybody played one yet?
  7. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Traben basses are made by Ben Chafin, formerly a designer for Dean Guitars, and his partner Tracy Hoeft (Tra-Ben, get it?). He's been making guitars for a couple of years since leaving Dean, and I've been bugging him to make a bass. They're super nice basses, both the imports and US models. BTW, he offers several different cool bridges, and the one mentioned above is the largest of them. The rest are closer to a Basdass. I was stuck in a booth 2 rows over from Ben at NAMM, and spent 4 days staring at (and playing) the Traben's. Make sure you check them out! (Yes, I know Ben, but they're great basses either way :) )

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i think it looks more over exagerated, to much stuff going on.
    simplicity is key. :smug:
  9. dsidab81

Feb 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Does anyone happen to know how you can get a custom order made?
    Their website advertises it, but that part of the site hasn't been completed.
  10. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I am getting one sometime in the next year. They are heavy as sin. I agree that they are flashy, but they have some amazing sound. They have a really well done MM pickup set.

Here's the kicker, that "steel flame thingy round the bridge" isn't actually "around" the bridge. It IS the bridge. It's bolted down to half the body. Needless to say, I think that it really gives it a nice tone and sustain. I mean, atleast the one I played, the whole bass shook with the notes and had killer sustain.

Here take a closer look at that bridge.

They really get some awesome low end. I personally always turn tone all the way down when I try a bass out and usually end up playing that way. I mean, I really whore for low end.

I think for the price, my local shop quoted me as $500 for a 5 string Chaos model, it's beyond a deal. If you get a chance, don't let the gaudy appearence sway you and atleast try it. I mean, I know some people won't like it, but I honestly think they will be few and far between. It's one of the few basses that play well and look over the top.

::edit:: Almost forgot, this sucker has a full 24 frets giving you a full two octaves of any note on one string.
  11. The appearence, 3 band EQ and the huge bridge(I figured the flames were part of the bridge)

I'm so motivated by the look of them, I'm selling my Pendragon to buy one....They look soooooo tasty.