1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot RAH600SMX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fendermonkey, May 30, 2012.

1. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    Hi everyone,

Still having some real problems with this old girl. There just seems to be absolutely no power in this thing.

When using my fender jag on active I have to leave the input pad off so it's set for a passive bass and I have to crank the pre gain right up to 9/10 just to get the signal clipping in the orange. Then I also have to pull the post gain right up to 8 or 9 just for practice and the music we play is quite melodic indie rock so im not trying to out do a metal drummer here!

I was coping with this for a while but I ran out of 9v batteries and the last practice which isn't a problem as I could switch to passive. The problem was that this ment the signal wasn't as hot and even with both pre and post gains turn up full and me boosting as much as I could in the eq it was still very very quiet.

I ended up using the Hartke head in the practice studio and with the pre and post gains only at half way on that it was considerably louder than my RAH600SMX.

Im not to sure where the problem could be but if anyone has had any experience with this head and could give me a few pointers I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    What cab(s) were you using?

What was the signal chain?

Have you tried using the preamp of the Hartke into the power amp of the Trace and vice versa?

3. ghunter

ghunter

May 16, 2006
    Issaquah, WA
    Sounds like it's time to take the amp to a good tech.

4. fendermonkey

fendermonkey

Jan 26, 2012
    I have been playing through my ashdown ABM 410h and through a Hartke 410XL at the studio both of which have an 8 ohm impedance.

I haven't tried that actually. It would narrow it down to either the power amp section of the RAH600SMX or the GP12SMx pre amp. That's a start.

Thanks!

5. It's very normal to run the input gain on full or near full.

You could be running with the graphic turned down low? That will kill the preamp pretty good.

The 600 is a stereo / biamp setup so you might have the output power to the amp you are using turned down on the back panel. There's multiple effect loops for high pass / stereo / full range. One of them might have cut out.