1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trade a Ric 4003 for a Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmmmberger, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Was wondering what the crowd thought of making the above trade? Ric in question is a 89 in excellent condition - just never "bonded" with it...the bass is not the problem. Played a Lakland in a local store and it just felt much better - just wondering if I am overlooking something or just having gas pains....thanks

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Edit: nvm... Seems Laklands are going for more than I thought...

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    key: hell no!!!! never

if you never bonded with it...give it to me I'll bond with it, trust me!!!!!

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    Not for a skyline I wouldn't.

5. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Not a chance. If nothing else, Rics hold their value better then any bass I can think of. If you don't like it, you would be better off to sell outright and use the cash to go shopping.

6. No, I wouldn't.

7. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Which Lakland, what kind of music do you play, and what kind of deal would you get? It's impossible to give you any suggestions as is.

8. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    No way.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Which Lakland? :D

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to sell it and use the cash? You might even end up with some money leftover that way.

11. Skyline = ripoff
    Certain US Models = Possible steal unless your Ric is a rare color

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    the Ric is worth a lot more...the Lakland is almost boutique-ish and the Ric is what it is. I would not do it...

13. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I say do it, all these people before me have said keep it because it's a Ric, but if it's not right for you, sling it, just make sure you're not short changed so to speak.

And Skylines are quite the opposite of a rip off.

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    being that i'm not a huge fan of Rics, i'd probably say yes depending on the Lakland you're getting.

People are right though, a Ric holds value like no other and you may do better selling it.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Ok, I like blatant trolls. Do tell. :ninja:

16. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    There's usually a waiting list for Rics.This advice is pretty sound.

There's a lot of Laklands around.Even if you didn't bond with the ric consider well before trading.If you can afford to hang on to it.

17. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I looked on his profile, he's a guitarist in bassists clothing, this explains alot.

18. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    :atoz: C´mon...yer killin´me, what Lakland?

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Heh. He might have just assumed that the OP was talking about an even trade. Which is not an assumption I would make at all.

20. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    Basic rule of thumb,....NEVER trade with a music store!!! They will only trade if they see a considerable profit margin. It doesn't make them evil or anything, it's just good business sense.

Sell the Rick, buy a Lakland, may take a little time in this depressed economy to sell it, but you'll be better off. With a little patience, you can wind up with a bass you like and probably some money in your pocket to boot.:bassist::hyper: