1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trade Dilemma - Fender, Ibanez & Spector content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awilkie84, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Hey,

So I have a Fender Deluxe Dimension V (MIM) and I'm selling/trading it locally. I have been offered the following 2 basses as potential trades and I would like to know what you all think of each of them. I'm not looking for individual value (I can google search) but knowing which way you all lean would help me greatly in determining which way I would go.

The first guy has offered a Spector Legend 5 Classic (Cherry Burst). He originally said it was a ReBop. Now, I don't know if this was intentional or not. So, there may or may not be more to this bass than he has said. He is local to me and only about 5 minutes away. I've owned a Spector ReBop 5 in the past, and ended up with a nightmare of a neck issue (seized truss rod due to glue from the factory, and a ramp in the fingerboard). I don't think all Spectors would be like this but it is my experience with the 1 I owned. Other than that, the bass felt great. I haven't played a Legend but they seem to get good reviews, too.

The other guy has offered an Ibanez SR506. I've had 6 string BTB before, and know the necks are nowhere near the same as an SR series. That said, any SR I've played (outside of a Prestige/Premium) has had a TERRIBLE B-string (IMO). Flappy, no treble definition, and clanky as all heck. I haven't played a 506 before, and it's been quite a few years since I even picked up an SR series to muck with. This guy is in Vancouver (a 1.5hr ferry ride away) and isn't likely to make a trip over here until the new year.

What are all your thoughts. I like the Dimension well enough but find the tone lacking, for me. The weight is also a bit much for a gig and the natural body finish isn't really to my liking.
    What would you do? Trade it? Keep it? Which model do you prefer and why?

2. wow. chose the wrong time to post. haha. Dropped 2 pages in an hour

3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Keep your bass till you find something you are COMFORTABLE with....there is no rush.

4. My thoughts, if they are local, try the respective basses out and judge on your own.

5. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    This. If both deals aren't right, just wait.