Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Transferring data from one recorder to another

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bearclaw, Oct 29, 2005.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Hi Guys,

I have a question about how to transfer data from one type of recorder to another. I have some music on my Roland VS890 digital recorder and wish to dump it all into my Yamaha MD8 recorder. Silly question I'm sure, but how would I do so? I tried hooking up to the out put of the roland and plug that into the input of the MD8 recorder, but nothing happened; so I'm clueless at the moment. Thanks for your time and assistance hopefully.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I think the Roland has a .wav export feature which allows you to bur a raw .wav file to a CD. If the other recorder has .wav importing you cna move them thatway. Otherwise you will have to record from one to the other. Nothing wrong with that, digital audio doesn't degrade as it's rerecorded.

3. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    According to the Roland site, the VS-890 does not support WAV import/export. Neither the Roland nor the Yamaha have digital ins/outs. That means you have to run the digital signal through the D/A converter on the Roland, send the audio to the analog inputs on the Yamaha, and go through yet another A/D conversion. That will have an impact on the audio, since neither model has great converters, but you might not notice the impact.

4. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Hey Dugz,

Thankyou for responding. I looked at the back of my MD8 board and the only inputs are for the "2TR Input"(left and right female jacks), and "line input" (which takes a quarter inch plug). I'm stumped still, is this what I need in order to transfer the data? Thanks again,

Joe

5. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    "2TK" inputs on mixers are usually set up to take a -10 input... which is the "standard" for home stereo equipment. Just watch your levels, so you don't overdrive the inputs.

You could use the "line" input, but I can't find any info on that unit, so I don't know if it's balanced or unbalanced. (I actually enjoy researching gear.) However, I would guess that it's probably unbalanced... which would take a TS plug, just like a guitar.

I'm not sure if you can route each input to a seperate track on the Yamaha. If so, then you could use all three inputs at once, and decrease the time you spend transfering. To do that, you would send two mono tracks (panned hard left and hard right) to the Roland outputs that are connected to the Yamaha 2TH ins, and another track to the Roland output that is connected to the Yamaha's 1/4" in... but I don't know if that's possible. You'll have to experiment.

If not, you're stuck with recording 1 track at a time.