1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raised_fist, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    Hey fellas,
    please excuse my ignorance with this issue, but I know NOTHING about electronics at all :smug:
    Basically, last night a small transistor looking thing fell out of my GK RBH 4x10 cab. You know the gaps down the side of the cabs, well it fell out of there. Just a small little red thing, which resembles a transistor.
    I had just been driving to rehearsal, so my cabs were being thrown around a bit in the back of the car. Once I got them in the rehearsal room, I found the little culprit as he rolled out of my cab.
    Now the RBH cabs have a horn in them, so could this be to do with the crossover switch to stop lows being sent to the horn?
    Is this something I can fix myself, or should I send it back...

    Thanks guys, as I said, excuse my ignorance... I am but a mere bassist... haha
  2. ESP-LTD


    Sep 9, 2001
    Transistors come in lots of shapes and sizes. From your description it's impossible to guess what the item is. Can you find a pic on the Internet like it or describe it?
  3. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If it came from your cab and you are sure it is an electronic piece it probably is from your X-over. A pic would definately help though.

    Off Topic: BTW, was your user name inspired by the band of the same name?
  4. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    thanks for your help guys, here is a pic...
    the number on it reads 395K 100KC

    Kelly Lee: Yes ;)

    Attached Files:

  5. That would be a Capaci-Tor. He is the superelectronichero who works Induc-Tor to rid speakers of the evil bad frequenies - the rogue band marauders who prey on good sounding healthy speakers everywhere. Capaci-Tor and Induc-Tor are not to be confused with Transis-Tor, who is the gate-keeper of good electrons in evey piece of bass electronics.

    395K is the value, different values determine what frequency the x-over works, and 100KC is the voltage rating.
  6. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    ohhhhhhhhhhhh I see.
    So can I jam mr Capacitor back in myself?
    Or do I take it to a repair shop?

    Could I just take off the grill, take out the speaker? Or am I way off track???
  7. It looks to be broken off at the legs, so you'd need a new one, and then a soldering iron to reattach it. There will be a circuit board in your speaker that probably has 5 or so parts on it and they will likely be soldered directly to your speakers. It sounds like you have very little knowledge of electronics, so a trip to the repair shop is in order. It's not an expensive part, nor a very time consuming job, so it shouldn't be expensive.
  8. billfitzmaurice

    billfitzmaurice Commercial User

    Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That capacitor is not one that one would normally be used in a crossover. It does resemble one that would be used in a power conditioner. I seriously doubt it came from your cabinet. It probably got put in there by a rodent.
  9. BurningSkies

    BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

    Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I concur whole-heartedly.

    Probably a Speaker Weasel.

    They're tricky little Ba$%ards.
  10. until.tomorrow

    until.tomorrow Guest

    May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    That takes me back to 96' with the album "Stronger than Ever". You got me wanting to go home and pull out my cd collection!
    (we are talking about the same band right? Swedish hardcore?)
  11. Kelly Lee

    Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

    Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    RaisedFist is one awesome Swedish band! Their bassist is awesome and so is their drummer.
  12. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    not expensive?! Awesome!

    billfitzmaurice: So you think maybe it doesn't come from the cab? I may get it checked out anyway....

    And yes, the Burning Hearts Records Raised Fist, thats what we're talking about;)
  13. IvanMike

    IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

    Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i nearly killed myself laughing over that one

    i call speaker weasel as a band name. :D
  14. billfitzmaurice

    billfitzmaurice Commercial User

    Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That type of cap is used in A/C and amp circuits, not crossovers. Crossover caps have axial leads and are at least five times the size of what you have there.
  15. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You sure that isn't a piece of Chiclet gum with a wire stuck in it???? Sure looks like one, LOL . . . . ;)
  16. BurningSkies

    BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

    Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd be happy to sign over the rights to the name.

    I'm still crestfallen that someone's already taken the name "John Cougar Concentration Camp".

  17. tplyons


    Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. That's a capacitor. Small value IIRC for a crossover.
  18. bassman314

    bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

    Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I call dibs on superelectronichero...

    Our lead singer will be Blue LED-Boy, 'cause he looks pretty, but otherwise doesn't doo much....
    Rhythm Guitarist is Ohmega Resistor... Still manages to get things done under pressure
    Lead Guitarist is the Dynamic Diode... only does things one way, and only when things are perfect...
    Drummer is Captain NiCad, who has to recharged every 4 hours.
    Bass is the Amazing Capacitator... chugs along, and then every once in awhile busts loose with a torrent of energy...