1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Transposing to another key??

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by CooperRex, Mar 22, 2010.

1. CooperRex

CooperRex

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm a relatively new player reading Tabs for most of the songs for my band. If the tabs are written for a song in its original key (say E) but my band wants to do it in C, how do relearn the tab and change all the notes? My understanding of keys is somewhat limited.

I'm sure this is the limitation of reading tab vs music, but I just don't have the time right now to really sit and learn how to read music.

2. you can slide everything up or down to a different fret position,but you may run out or notes at either end......thats why reading is so much more useful than tab...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    but you have time to sit for hours rewriting tabs trying to transpose music that would probably take you a couple minutes to figure out if you learned how to read music? if you don't put the time in on the front end, you will put it in bigtime on the back end.

4. Like the other guys I STRONGLY encourage you to learn to read music.

You could buy a copy of Guitar Pro, it's inexpensive. note: I have no affiliation with it other than as a user http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

Enter the tab you have into the program it will generate the notation which will help you to learn to read music. It also allows you to take your finished product and transpose it to another key,

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020