Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

travis barker.....over rated??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by No Profile, Mar 14, 2006.

1. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    i have this drummer friend, who's started to go to music college and everyone rants and raves about travis being the best drummer in the world. i think he's a great drummer and without a doubt, the best punk rock drummer the world will ever see, but i cant accept he's the best in the world or even in the top 20.
    i still think the drummer from rush (forget his name neil something) is far better, but my friend just says listen to barkers rudiments.

what do you guys think?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Love him or hate him, IMO, he is NOT overrated. I thought Blink 182 sucked, but Travis is a helluva drummer. Greatest that punk's seen? Nah, but he deserves all of his drumming accolades.

3. Good, but not even close to the best that punk has seen (I wouldn't really call Blink 182 punk either), and nowhere near the best in the world.

4. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    well you know what i mean by punk, going off topic slightly who's better in punk? i mean technical abilities not being the best showman or charismatic or something

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The guy in the Buzzcocks was better, for one. Also, the guy who played with Rokie Ericson and the 13th Floor Elevators.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Neil Peart is the drummer for Rush, and yes, I think Travis Barker is a phenomenal drummer. Not the best in the world, but good luck figuring out who is.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - this whole thread seems "ironic" to me..:eyebrow:

So - the spirit of Punk is all about rebelling against concepts like "musicianship" in favour of attitude and energy, supporting the song etc.!!

Punk was about saying : I don't need loads of gear and technical expertise - just get up there and do it!!

Punk is anti-musicianship - so the "best" drummer is not a valid concept!!

That's for rockers and hippies!! ;)

8. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    no... attitude, energy and supporting the song ARE part of musicianship.. and for rock music, they're the most important part

'anti-musicianship' is the wrong way to look at it... try 'anti-virtuosic'

and I love Travis Barker's attitude & energy.. he does it for me... don't care about the 'best' or 'worst' but he's my favourite rock drummer

9. I don't think Punk is anti-musicianship. I mean, I don't think the point of punk music is sitting around waxing eloquent about the finer nuances of theory and time signatures, but I don't think anybody who picks up an instrument strives for "anti-musicianship."

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well if you like - but it's still case of saying you want a drummer who has energy and attitude, rather than "musical chops"...

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well it was in England - a direct reaction against stadium rock and prog rock - against long solos and complex structures - for political comment, rebelling etc etc.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We're ignoring the fact that this guy is going to a musical college, he's going to walk in the door and say, "Travis Barker from Blink 182 is the best drummer in the world."

He may very well get beaten to death. :D

13. No Profile

No Profile

Oct 22, 2005
    yeah, this isnt a thread about punk rock. i just want to shut my friend up :smug: because i know he ain't (one of) the best.

14. I was at Chapters in Augest and I remember looking at this Magazine that was from England it rated the 40 best drummers in Rock of all time. I didn't buy it because it was 11 dollars but I remember some of the names. Travis was their but way up near the end. Tommy Lee was #19. Phil Collins was their but I think he was in the low teens. I was surprised to see Neil Peart at #4 as I thought he would have been #1 as for #1 it was John Bonham.
    Other notables
    Stewart Copeland
    Ginger Baker
    Mitch Mitchell
    Keith Moon
    Lars Ulrich
    Tommy Aldridge
    These are the names I remember seeing. Remember it's the 40 best rock drummers of all time and not the best drummers in the world of all time. because notibles like Buddy Rich were not included.

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Lars? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Blink 182 is a punk band? I was under the impression that anger was a requirement for punk musicians, and Blink 182 don't sound very angry to me.

I'm not sure about his drumming ability, but Travis Barker does have the coolest Boost Mobile ad right now :)