Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traynor YBA 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jammin'John, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Does anyone know how it is constructed ? :confused:
    It's probably NOT point to point.
    If it's a printed board I wonder what kind.
    ............................I wonder if the tubes are chassis mounted. :D
    ............................I wonder if the switches & jacks are solidly mounted & wired. :help:
    Do four 6550's make a very big 200w. :eek:
    Do you think it would have as much power & punch as a 400w solid state amp ? :cool:

JJ

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm not 100% sure about all the construction questions man but you can find all that on the yorkville website, they have MASSIVE program that shows the entire construction process and details each step, you should check it out. on the other hand I can answer your sound and power questions. I've had one for 2 months now and it's an amazing little amp. I use it through the matching Traynor YBX1510, an Avatar B410 Delta or both at the same time. In any or all combos it thunders every bit as hard as my GK 700RB-II. The power is smooth, doesn't pound the cones as hard as my GK and also adds an amazing defined yet overdriven tone when cranked to above 7 on the master. The amp is as solid as anything I've ever picked up, Traynors have a rep for being tough as nails, it was their trademark in the 60's and 70's and so far that's held true for me. All the tubes are very solidly mounted, the four 6550's put out a hell of a lot more power than I had expected, like I said it matches my 500 watt GK so your question about 400 watts SS is easily answered, it'll smoke the SS amp simply because you can crank the Traynor all way up, like i did last night, and it won't clip or blow your speakers like many SS amps would. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me man, if you can play it really put it through its paces. I didn't think it was all that loud in the shop I tested it in because I had everything set flat at 5 and this amp doesn't sound great set that way. When I found my swet spot, treble at 10 o'clock, mids at noon and bass at 19 o clock with the gain and master both at 5 it really sounded great and the harder I push it the better it sounds. You'll love it.