Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Treble Clef skill

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I was thinking of getting some violin parts to practice my treble clef reading skill and thumb position skill. What do ya think? Is this a good idea? What are some of y'alls strategies for treble clef?

2. Every Good Boy Does Fine.

3. Why limit it to vile-din music? You should be looking for and attempting to play anything in the G-clef…

- Wil

4. G clef?

5. The treble clef is the most common type of G clef. The shape of the G clef is such that it centers or "swirls" around the G on the staff. In treble clef, it happens to be the second lowest line.

6. Are you in plying that there are more clefs besides Treble,Tenner, Alto, and Bass?

7. Treble clef can also be called G Clef because the symbol circles the line of the staff indicating where the g above middle c is located as in the attached picture.

Shelly :)

Attached Files:

8. Oh

9. Looks like you beat me, Paul.

McNaire: Yes, technically you can have 7 different clefs, because the C clef that is used for tenor and alto clef can be centered over any of the lines of the staff, thus also giving you baritone, mezzo-soprano, and soprano clefs.

G-clef (Treble)
    F-clef (bass)
    baritone c-clef
    tenor c-clef
    alto c-clef
    mezzo-soprano c-clef
    soprano c-clef

10. I'm not "in plying" anything. I don't even know how to do that. However, anyone who's taken more than five minutes of a theory class can tell you that those four clefs you mentioned are just the tip of the iceberg. Theoretically speaking, there's an unlimited number of clefs.

11. That is what I hate about my school. There is no music theory class at my school so I am in the dark so to speak about basic music theory. That is why (in another thread) I was asking for a good music theory book for classical music. I also would be happy enough to have one for jazz. Because I know (or I am pretty sure) that all music theory intertwines and is one music.

12. Here is a link to a website that has good examples of what Paul is saying. There are many variations for where the clefs can be placed: http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory14.htm

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    It appears that your school doesn't have a grammar or spelling class either.

14. Thanks for the link. I had the part with were the 3 main clefs join figured out but I was blind to the rest. I was wondering what that clef that I have in some new CYS music was. The clef for untuned percussion indefinite pitch clef.

Attached Files:

15. Very few public schools actually offer a music theory class. Mine certainly didn't. I took a few courses at summer programs and will probably be taking many more in college.

A book is a good place to start.

16. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    Way back when - when the range of the bass was more limited - bass and alto clef knowledge was sufficent. Today, with the range so expanded, bass and treble writing is the standard BUT you still need the also clef knowledge to do the older transcriptions - Eccles, ex. -
    Tom Gale

17. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    In practical terms, you almost never see anything other than bass, tenor, alto or treble clef. You'll occasionally see bass called F clef and treble as G clef. If you really dig into things, you'll find an assortment of F clefs on 4-line staves used for chant notation (which is pretty strange and funky), but as a bass player, you'll never see anything other than the basic 4 unless you're getting to early music or something else way out of the mainstream.

18. enyapj18

enyapj18

Jul 23, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    For books on music theory you could go to: http://www.societymusictheory.org
    They have a substantial bibliography in there resource section.

John

19. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Did you mean tenor clef?

20. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ditto.. Of course he meant Tenor Clef. He has books published on Bass. Alto clef is the only Clef I 'have not' seen yet in Bass music (of the main 4 clefs). Had a part last month by Stravinsky (Danses Concertantes) that jumped from Bass to Treble Clef all over the place.