1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

trilling

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    how do you trill on bass? If I try a tapping method ( using my m finger on the right hand while I hold down the fret with my m or i on the left) it never registers loud enough. What do you guys think?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Could you explain a little more, because I don't know what you mean, a harmonic? a vibrato?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A trill is a plucked (or picked etc.) note, followed by rapid hammer-ons and pull-offs, usually a half or whole-step up and back.
    Usually you do the trill with the fretting hand, unless you do a tapped trill a la Sheehan or sth. similar.

4. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah I'm talking about a tapped trill like:

9-12-9-12-10-13-10-13-

so if im holding down 9 with my left m finger and tapping 12 with my right m finger I really can't get a sound that registers like if I was straight tapping (12-0-9-12-0-9). sorry I was unclear about that. so what do you guys think is best to do?

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Practice makes perfect.

6. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I don't know if this means I have ape like hands, but I can do 9 to 12 with my left index and left pinky pretty easily.

7. Agmundr

Agmundr

Apr 25, 2004
    I usually pick with my right hand for the first note of each triplet (or however many notes together you wish) and hammer on a little harder than usual for the next few. All the notes seem to register fine. Or I use a trem. technique simlar to playing 6-string guitar if you want trills that are played in the middle of a riff very very fast. I've tried to tap with my right hand with bass but it doesn't seem to work. I think it works better if you were playing a regular 6-string guitar. That Van Halen guy plays them well (excuse me while I scoff though :p) My apologies to the cock rock fans.