Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trilling

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    how do you trill on bass? If I try a tapping method ( using my m finger on the right hand while I hold down the fret with my m or i on the left) it never registers loud enough. What do you guys think?

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Could you explain a little more, because I don't know what you mean, a harmonic? a vibrato?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A trill is a plucked (or picked etc.) note, followed by rapid hammer-ons and pull-offs, usually a half or whole-step up and back.
    Usually you do the trill with the fretting hand, unless you do a tapped trill a la Sheehan or sth. similar.

4. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah I'm talking about a tapped trill like:

9-12-9-12-10-13-10-13-

so if im holding down 9 with my left m finger and tapping 12 with my right m finger I really can't get a sound that registers like if I was straight tapping (12-0-9-12-0-9). sorry I was unclear about that. so what do you guys think is best to do?

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Practice makes perfect.

6. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    I don't know if this means I have ape like hands, but I can do 9 to 12 with my left index and left pinky pretty easily.

7. Agmundr

Agmundr

Apr 25, 2004
    I usually pick with my right hand for the first note of each triplet (or however many notes together you wish) and hammer on a little harder than usual for the next few. All the notes seem to register fine. Or I use a trem. technique simlar to playing 6-string guitar if you want trills that are played in the middle of a riff very very fast. I've tried to tap with my right hand with bass but it doesn't seem to work. I think it works better if you were playing a regular 6-string guitar. That Van Halen guy plays them well (excuse me while I scoff though :p) My apologies to the cock rock fans.