Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Triplets (again)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Danny R., Dec 22, 2003.

1. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I've been doing triplets for a few years now, I've been working in some new ideas but I'd like to get more ideas and opinions, suggestions etc. basically I want to learn more ways to do triplets, here's some soundclips ;)

N. 1: this triplets are ala Wooten, everybody can do it, thumb down, thumb up and pluck, very easy and cool triplets, I'm posting the soundclips just as a reference of how I do the triplets, the bass is recorded directly to my soundcard.

2. Danny R.

N. 2: this triplets are similar to the first one, but I pluck twice instead of once, thumb down, thumb up, index pluck and middle pluck.
    This is the first time I record and post soundclips, the timing might be a little off, so go easy on me ;)

3. Danny R.

N. 3: this triplets are a little hard (my favorite), I've been working on this triplets for a few weeks now, what I do is; I slap the E string (muted) anywhere on the board, hammer, slap (muted), and double pluck (index and middle), I do some other variations, but I wanna learn other ways to make triplets so if any one have and Idea, another way or a suggestion please let me know.
    Thanks guys ;)

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Very cool.

now post some pictures! :)

I have been working on triplets a lot myself, tough I can't do it as well as you!

I'm working on it though! ;)

one note, wouldn't the second one by a quadrate? not a triplet :p

5. Danny R.

Yeah, I guess so, what about the third one?? I hit the strings 5 times with that motion, what should I call it? :D

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmm quintet?

7. Danny R.

ah, quintet, cool thanks ;)

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Mexican PentaSlap Deluxe

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well there's nothing hard about triplets, as such - it's just putting three notes, where you would expect a group of 2, according to the time signature.

So - you can have triplet groups in slow ballads - like Mingus's "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" has some very slow triplet groups, as part of the main melody.

In fact most Jazz has a "triplet feel" - this is what gives it its swing, in some contexts.

So - if you have a very slow ballad - where you would expect 4 beats in the bar - but could easily play 8 (or even 16) - then if you play two group of 3 - that is : six notes in the bar - then you have played triplets - it's just a different way of subdividing the bar and making the rhythmic feel, less "square".

You have replaced two groups of two with two groups of three! So - that's the simplest way to do it - but of course you can put in groups of 3 eigtht notes and break up the bar even more - you are just adding more rhythmic interest ....but what you are doing is what Jazz often tends to do - implying a 12/8 time signature in an ostensibly 4/4 tune.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are two "offical" names for that - but neither is quintet!! ;)

So I alway call it "quintuplet" or quintuple time - but my music dictionary says it can also be known as "quintole" !!

"Groups of 5 notes, or notes and rests, of equal time value, written to be played in the time of 4 or 3."

(Oxford Dictionary of Music)

11. Danny R.

Awesome name :D

12. Danny R.

Bruce, thanks for the input ;)

13. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I've always heard it called a quintuplet in orchestra and 'classical' music in general. A quadrate wouldn't be dividing anything into a group of 3 so it'd just be four 32nd notes or something :D

How about doing....
    thumb - left hand slap - thumb
    thumb - left hand slap - pluck
    thumb - left hand slap - middle - index (you can really get this one sounding FAST without much effort)

I also do one where I slap down - slap up - pluck w/ thumb. I suppose you could just do down - up - down but I'm not very good at that. Anyway, it gives you a triplet without using your other fingers. It makes it easy to do down - up - pluck thumb - middle - index - left hand slep and get a quick sextuplet. If this was confusing I'll try to take a picture haha. Neat thread.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    At wootcamp, there was a kid who would do down/up with his thumb then quickly do a rake with all four fingers in succession.

combined with some left handed stuff, it created quite the cacophony of clicky noises ;)

One thing I do sometimes, is down up with my thumb but ALSO down up with each finger.

15. Danny R.

Cool, by left hand slap you mean slapping the open string with the left hand or just a hammer on??
    I also like doing triplets just in one string (ala Abe Laboriel), thumb down, hammer on, thumb up, I'll post some soundclips tonight after practice, I'll try to post a sextuplet (Mexican HexaSlap Deluxe) :D
    thanks guys!! keep the replys with ideas coming :bassist:

16. Danny R.

Oh yeah, I got a few PMs saying that they can't hear the soundclips, just right click and save target as.

17. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah just slap your left hand palm against the strings for a good ole clack :D

Raking is neat too, although personally I can't do much with less than six strings haha. If I'm slapping on the A string I will rake the B and E with the thumb before plucking the A string. This is neat for muted grace notes coming into a downbeat.

18. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Since I assume we are talking about slapping triplets here, I also use my left hand a bit.
    I use the techniques described by ole Jason, but also this little gimmick, which I use to trick people into believing that I can slap really fast (i'm NOT good at slapping)

pop - left hand slap - muted thumb, or
    pop - pop - lhs - mt, and to make a quintol (that's what they're called in Sweden!)
    pop - pop - lhs - mt - lhs

Nothing advanced at all really, but it makes a lot of noise! They're also quite easy to play right after eachother, so you can fill a bar with them if you can't come up with anything interesting to play!
    ;)

19. I don't mean to change subjects but how exactly do you do the thumb up portion of the thumb down-up-pop thing? I just can't seem to get it right.:confused:

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not trying to hijack here,
    just adding a little aide for Nick B.

I recorded these this morning, excuse the flub up on the first one, it's hard to do 3 things at once(positioning, playing and hitting play)

Nick, there are 2 ways that I do double thumb, one is over the Fretboard(what I do most often) the other is past teh fretboard, experiment with different angles of your hand and thumb to get something that is comfortable for you.

I included a pop in this, but ...eh...juts focus on the thumb.

Past the Fretboard

Over the Fretboard

Thanks to Thole for hosting