Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

True Bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Okay question time!
    1. What is true bypass and what does it do?
    2. Do these pedals have true bypass?
    a) Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah
    b) EHX Big Muff Pi
    c) MXR M-80
    d) Digitech X-Series bass pedals
    e) Boss Bass Flanger BF-2B
    3. Can I mod these to have true bypass?
    4. Is it hard to accomplish?
    5. Is there adequate room inside the pedal(s) for it to be done?
    6. What materials do I need to make this mod and where can I purchase them?
    7. Thanks very much for your time, help, and knowledge!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. True bypass switches out the circuitry of the pedal completely when the effect is turned off, which reduces noise.

2. Couldn't tell ya...check their manufacturers.

3. Yes.

4. I used to do it with a DOD Noise Gate/Effects Loop. Run the effects through the loop, and when the loop is off, the pedals are bypassed. You can also do it in the pedal itself, though I don't know how to do it. Any amp repair shop could probably do it for you, though.

5. Depends on the pedal, but usually there is.

6. I have no idea what you need, but you can get them at any electronic parts supply store.

7. You're welcome.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. True bypass effectively and fully removes the circuit from the signal path, basically routing the signal straight from the input to output. Still works if the battery dies and doesn't detract from the signal, nor add resistance to the signal path.

2. AFAIK, out of the pedals listed, only the Big Muff Pi is true bypass.

3-7. Most pedals can be modded for true bypass. If you're handy with a soldering iron and have some electronic knowledge, it's not too bad. As far as adequate room, depends entirely on the pedal, the EHX has plenty of room (though it's already done) and the Crybaby is a fairly simple mod, a few things removed from the board and a few jumpers cut and wires soldered. Actually, a bit more complex, but not too bad with good directions. The MXR is likely going to be pretty tight in there, but I would NOT attempt modding the Digitech or the Boss due to close quarters inside the case, as well as very complex digital circuitry. Use a loooper to bypass these pedals if you're set on true bypass.

As far as materials, you pretty much either need a DPDT stomp switch (for the Crybaby) or a 3PDT stomp switch for the other pedals, some wire, soldering iron, and patience. A lot can go wrong and it's easier to break than figure out what you burned or broke.

If you want it done professionally, I recommend:
    www.jeverman.com
    www.analogman.com or
    www.guitartone.com

:)

4. I've got the Black Big Muff Pi (russian one) and it's not true bypass at all.

True bypass mods are generally pretty simple if you have some understanding of electronics. It's probably easier to just get a looper though. Or make one yourself. That's what I'm doing.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoops, correction, only the American RI Big Muff Pi's are true bypass.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, I'd love one of those Looopers! Well, I would have. Too bad I sold off all my good effects pedals...

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I also think your MXR M-80 is true bypass.

But thats about it, the ehx big muff might be depends when you bought it.

Hope this helps

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Nope... They use somthing called "passive bypass"... Not the same, but close... Its tricky because if they don't have power the signal still passes through, but it does still go through the circuit...

Alex

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hmmm interesting, I've never noticed because I'm using it as an eq so it's always on.

Cheers mate for that